Boiled Linseed Oil

Rob Keeble

Can anyone tell me what the shelf life is of a bottle of blo.

Also how long does this stuff take to trully dry hard.

As some will know i used blo on my workbench diluted with mineral spirits its been over a week now and its still not totally dry.

All i could think of was how old the stuff is.

H..e..l..p..

+3 on heat and humidity stretching the dry time. Did you rub off all the excess after letting it soak in awhile; then wipe it again about every day? You could put a little mineral spirits on a rag and pick a small spot, rub it with the MS and then wipe it with a clean rag till it stays clean. See how that spot is doing the next day. If it goes pretty-well dry, you may want to wipe the whole surface. Just an idea. The nice thing about BLO is that if you think you wiped too much off or didn't get enough on, just add some more, let it soak and wipe it off ;-)

Thanks guys. I think the humidity is the issue as well as the fact that i put a ton on to let it soak in. Must say it looks good and certainly feels harder than the soft pine it was before.
But having looked up this issue on the interwebs i and now understand why. ......learning step by step.:thumbup:

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2.

Use naptha in place of mineral spirits...it will dry faster.

MikesMasterLogo2.gif

movingplane1.gif

I've had can for over 20 years. Still use it from time to time.

BE CAREFUL with those rags you used to put it on with. Friend of mine almost had a fire from some rags he had been using with BLO and just tossed in a bucket in his garage. They were smoking and almost to the ignition point when the fire department arrived. (Just in case you weren't aware.)

Joe

I've never tried this, but I have a friend who mixes 3 parts BLO to 1 part naphtha and then applies that as is described here with BLO alone. He says it dramatically cuts drying time.

Rob add about 20% of demar varnish to the BLO , I make my own from rock crystals. It's a much harder finish and will aid in the drying time. Demar is also good for 1st coat sealing. I like this for small projects that will be frenched polished, or oil finished.

Like some others said, use naphtha rather than mineral spirits. If I'm using BLO to enhance grain, etc., I'll go 1/1 with naphtha and wipe occasionally until the weeping stops. I've also made my own "Danish Oil" using a 1/1/1 or 1/1/2 ratio of BLO/Naphtha/Polyurethane.