Roofing time

Ned Bulken

We've needed it for awhile now, but we've finally got some $ and are having a new roof put on the house. Hired it out, and boy are they moving fast... They cut out the bottom 2' of the sheathing, and have put the entire front half of the roof on since 7:30 this morning.

before
before.jpg

after
new-roof.jpg

shop-mess.jpg
and the roof will match the shop's roof.

They wrapped the back half as well, and are coming back to trim out the front and back soffit/edges later this week or next (he's got another job to do). We're going to do without gutters altogether. the only thing I am going to want to put up there is an inverted V diverter above the front door. Other than that, it's all done. We're all extremely pleased with the results.

Always good to get things done! And that won't need to get done for a long time.

I'd like to have gutters, but we don't get enough rain to make it worth while!

I had my garage/shop roof done last oct or nov, started noticing tiny leaks, didnt want to wait, and I had him put gutters on not only the garage roof, but the 8x12 shed on the side that butts up against the garage.
I have a long leader, 3 feet long, going away from the garage and shed, so none of the water gets in close to the garage.
I also just finished putting thos 2.00 drain guards on the shop/shed and my entire house as I got sick of cleaning my gutters every year.

I've got a diverter over my family room door. They work well keeping us dry. We don't have gutters either.

I'm hoping that decision won't bite us in the end :rolleyes: however the gutters were in sorry shape and would mean they'd have to be replaced if we kept them. Simpler to just tear them down.

Always good to get things done! And that won't need to get done for a long time.

I'd like to have gutters, but we don't get enough rain to make it worth while!

We get more than enough rain and the S word too. We even had rain when the roofers were about 3/4 of the way through on the back of the house... and I can attest that the roof does shed water very well. Thankfully it didn't shed Roofers, though it was a near thing a couple of times.

I had my garage/shop roof done last oct or nov, started noticing tiny leaks, didnt want to wait, and I had him put gutters on not only the garage roof, but the 8x12 shed on the side that butts up against the garage.
I have a long leader, 3 feet long, going away from the garage and shed, so none of the water gets in close to the garage.
I also just finished putting thos 2.00 drain guards on the shop/shed and my entire house as I got sick of cleaning my gutters every year.
I'm going to give it a year or so, if we find after a winter that it is an issue, when we replace the siding, we'll roll gutters back into the quote. for now, however SWMBO said 'no gutters'... and so to keep it under budget, we went sans gutters.

We have a 200 year old restored farm house with a metal roof. We tried gutters but could not keep them on, the snow rips them off when it comes sliding off the roof. We could use snow dogs to keep the snow from sliding but I like not having the snow load sitting on the roof. I think you will really like the metal roof..