High Buck Hinges

Ron Roase

This is kind of tounge in cheek Title. I am not sorry for my actions,but every once in a while you tend to look back and.....Wow did I spend that much! Any way,A few weeks back I got the bug about getting an Ibox. I was really taken up by what I saw on FW . I ordered one and After almost 2 weeks it finnaly came. Had such a great time with it that I could see that it would be great for making wooden hinges as well as just box joints.
Of course then I would need the Hinge crafter so I could drill the hoes for the brass rod. Lets not forget a couple of bull nose bits to form the knuckles on the hinge. I allready had the 3/8ths one but I wanted the 1/2"
one so I could make larger hinges for a cabinet.
Jewerly Box.JPG Lift out tray.JPG
The Box joints were right on even the small 1/8 ones on the lift out tray.
New shop Cabinet.JPG Found a 13 1/2" space on the shop wall and had to build a cabinet there so as to use my walnut hinges.
Wooden hinges 1.JPGWooden hinges 2.JPG
The one I made from Aspin was my first atempt and it turned out good so then on to the walnut.Wooden hinges of Aspin.JPG The hinges on the jewerly box were not made with the Ibox so they are not as good quality as the othersInside Box.JPGwas a blast doing itand just think that first pair of walnut hinges only cost me $314.00 That does not cover the cost of material that I used to make the cabinet so I had some place to put those new hinges. The only place I used the router table was to make the hinge nuckles. All the rest was done on the table saw with dato blades. I cut them apart on my bandsaw. Each time I work with it I learn a little more. Also how important it is to mike the dato blades to exact width of cut so fingers slide nicely into the hingecrafter.

I had to read this thread because I couldn't figure out what a high-buck hinge was. I know strap hinge, piano hinge, lots of others, but WTH? They are pretty, but $300 for the gear? I'd slap myself upside the head if I did that. :rofl: