cheap way to apply a formica type laminate

I have some left over formica. I want to put it on the surface of a tool cabinet I am just finishing up for my shop. It isn't anything fancy but I want the top to be very durable as a large metal vice will be sitting on it from time to time.

I normally use contact cement with very good results but I don't want to spend $20+ on a can for something so small.

Any idea on what I can use instead?

The box stores, hardware stores, lumberyards, should have quarts of Weldwood solvent based contact cement.

MikesMasterLogo2.gif

movingplane1.gif

No quarts. I did see the tag for a quart and it was $15. I opted for a spray adhesive. it was locktite medium spray adhesive. My first attempt was a disaster. I ruined the piece of formica I had when I tried to peel off the corner that touched down in the wrong place. ripped it right off.

sprayed another piece I had left over from something else and and got it in place correctly.

GOOD BOND. cost me $8. I think I used much more than I needed as one can only did about 5 square feet but $8 was a good number for this project.

It's good to know that the spray stuff will do the trick. :thumb:

I was shocked how well it worked. In fact I suggest to anyone who is going to use it that you put on a light coat on a test piece and try it first to see how much you actually need. I think i used way more than I needed and could have had more than 1/2 a can left.

No quarts. I did see the tag for a quart and it was $15. I opted for a spray adhesive. it was locktite medium spray adhesive. My first attempt was a disaster. I ruined the piece of formica I had when I tried to peel off the corner that touched down in the wrong place. ripped it right off.

sprayed another piece I had left over from something else and and got it in place correctly.

GOOD BOND. cost me $8. I think I used much more than I needed as one can only did about 5 square feet but $8 was a good number for this project.

Did you lay something on the top ....strips of wood, electric cord anything to suspend the laminate above the top to align it & then starting in the middle start sliding out the strips & pressing the laminate into contact with the top surface working your way toward the outer edges as you go? Then using a J roller or using a block of wood & hammer press it down to final bond.

Did you lay something on the top ....strips of wood, electric cord anything to suspend the laminate above the top to align it & then starting in the middle start sliding out the strips & pressing the laminate into contact with the top surface working your way toward the outer edges as you go? Then using a J roller or using a block of wood & hammer press it down to final bond.

Not the first time:doh:

Its not like I hadn't done this before. I even had the dowels but figured I could just slap the formica into place. I was wrong.

When i did the second attempt with my second piece I laid long dowels on the surface. I just used a rag and a lot of elbow grease but got an excellent bond.

I hate it when I KNOW the tips and tricks to make things easier or more likely to be a success and for whatever reason, I shortcut is anyway. I try to keep in mind that "there's no shortcut that leads anywhere I want to go". I keep a set of strips out of an old mini blind over the rafters for such things.