Hey, gang!

Billy Burt

I'm back from my long hiatus. It took me awhile to get off my hinder parts and get the garage into some semblance of a shop since moving back to Texas. Now, hopefully, I can get back to my therapy!

So what have I missed? LOL!

Welcome Billy. I guess i'm one of them spinny guys Larry was talking about.:rofl:

Stephen, I'm a spinny guy too, but I also do a fair amount of flatwork. I think that's the main reason they tolerated me. ;-) I love most aspects of woodworking in fact. I hope to try my hand at some carving one of these days even. And I want to get better with scrolling. I just love the way we can make woodgrain pop when it's done right. Be it turned, carved, built into furniture or what have you.

re: shop - pics or it didn't happen (it could be the mythical shop?).

I gotta say this is one of the best and friendliest communities on the internet.

Not really a spinny guy but occasionally take a turn for the worse.. ... .. ..

re: shop - pics or it didn't happen (it could be the mythical shop?).

I gotta say this is one of the best and friendliest communities on the internet.

Not really a spinny guy but occasionally take a turn for the worse.. ... .. ..

Pics you say, oh doubting Thomas? Actually, it's still more of an almost shop. But at least I can use my midi lathe, drill press and bandsaw.

640lathe_stand.jpg

Well, that's as good as it gets for now.

Last edited:
Its real for sure :D

What were you turning plastic??

Pretty clever using a CMS stand for the midi lathe :thumb:

A form of plastic, yes, Ryan. I got an order for a pen and pencil set in Prairie Rattler. The snake skin is glued to the pen tubes and encased in clear resin.

As for using the stand, I can't take credit for the idea. I saw where another pen turner on IAP used one. Best $90 I've spent in awhile. One of the things I like about it, is that I have room on one end to hang something to keep my turning chisels handy. I just have to build the "something" and haven't quite firgured out what I want it to look like yet. My biggest expense will be getting the garage wired for 220v so I can get my 3520B running again. I have a fair number of chunks calling my name that are too big for the midi.