Garage door seal

larry merlau

some time back someone had a problem with a garage door not keeping the rain out,, i have the same problem and i think they got a rubber piece that they glued down on the concrete and it stopped the leak does anyone remember the vendor or the person that used it.. i need to get one for my shop..Thanks for the help

some time back someone had a problem with a garage door not keeping the rain out,, i have the same problem and i think they got a rubber piece that they glued down on the concrete and it stopped the leak does anyone remember the vendor or the person that used it.. i need to get one for my shop..Thanks for the help
I think that was Allen.

I know Harbor Freight sells the rubber garage door thresholds/seals. I've got one still new in the box in my garage. I'd send it to you if it wasn't on the other side of Arizona from me. :doh:

Garage door seals do wear out... available at any "home center"

http://www.lowes.com/Search=garage+door+seal?storeId=10151&N=0&langId=-1&catalogId=10051&rpp=16
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cat...=None&Ntpr=1&Ntpc=1&selectedCatgry=SEARCH+ALL

As long as the concrete isn't cracked, spalled, or uneven, the door should keep water out just fine without any helper seals on the concrete. Your seal may be old and hard or the door opener (assuming automatic door) may need to be adjusted with more "down" force.

One of my garage doors is at a low spot due to a section of driveway settling/sinking. During torrential rains, water pools against the door and once it hits about 4" deep, it would seep under. I replaced the 10-year-old door seal and set the opener "down" force 2 more clicks and haven't had a problem in two years since.

edit - D'oh. Robert beat me. :D

Last edited:
my problem isnt age on the seal of the door its the no slope at the door entrance i need to make the water run away from the door and the track aera to get a better seal.. the crete guy seemed to forget to drop the door opening to have the water run off and is now flat and catches it all to run in..

My last shop was like that and broke out the crete and installed a crate so the water can drain down into a 3" sewer pipe and into the creek. This might be a option for you as you have that hill on the side of your shop.

I remember ordering the rubber strip online, someone here recommended a brand, and it worked perfectly.
Following reviews of it online, everyone suggested purchasing a separate tube of sealant since what came with it wasnt sufficient.
Its just a piece of rubber with a slight lip in front, but I havent had a drop of water get in from the overhead door since.
Ofcourse, now I have water getting in from under the wood frame, but its slight, but I will address that problem one day also.
Ill try to remember.
what I put down was a garage door threshold seal.
I remember using a wire wheel to clean up the concrete, then put the adhesive down

not sure if this was the brand, but it looks just like it
http://www.elite-xpressions.com/garagedoorthreshold.htm

Last edited: