First Hollowing on New Lathe

Sam Blasco

In conjunction with my new lathe report, recently finished up in the new tools section, I thought it might be appropriate to post a few pictures of a project. If you have followed that thread, I believe one of the pictures at the end shows me starting a small vessel and I'm pretty sure this is what it turned into. If not, they were both out of the same tree...

FirstHollow01.jpg

FirstHollow02.jpg

FirstHollow03.jpg

I thought about polishing up my skills on the lathe. But after seeing this, I'm just going to throw in the towel. Is that ever nice!

Thanks, guys. Box elder is right and the finish is a couple of coats of wipe on poly, followed by a simple wet sand (600 grit with paraffin oil), then a few coats of paste wax and some buffing. Hollowing tools used were the Woodcut hook tools with limiters and the basic Keltons to clean it up. This was the third attempt with the Woodcut system, it can be very aggressive, and I should have taken the manufacturers advice and practiced on open bowls first. But once I got the knack for working with them down it is an awesome system of cutters.

Need to be downsized a little, IMHO.

Nancy

The photos are hosted off sight and I save them so they can fill a 17" screen. I'm not sure how I can post thumbnails here so that folks can click on them to blow them up without complicating things by saving them in many sizes. Photobucket is a relatively new service to me and seems to work seemlessly without the need for using bandwith here. If anyone knows of a way to resize images temporarily here I'm always will to learn mo better ways.

The photos are hosted off sight and I save them so they can fill a 17" screen. I'm not sure how I can post thumbnails here so that folks can click on them to blow them up without complicating things by saving them in many sizes. Photobucket is a relatively new service to me and seems to work seemlessly without the need for using bandwith here. If anyone knows of a way to resize images temporarily here I'm always will to learn mo better ways.
They fit fine on my monitors. Maybe we could take up a collection and get Nancy a bigger monitor . :p

Greg Cook is our resident Photobucket whiz. Maybe he can offer you some tips for getting the thumbnails working. (Of course you can always upload them to our forum server and they'll auto-thumbnail, but you're limited to 800 pixels wide or high. Bandwidth isn't really a problem so far.)

And last but not least, that's a very nice HF, Sam. :clap: