Cutoff Bin Version 2

glenn bradley

I have been on a mission to knock things off my to-do list lately. My neighbor had some work done on his house and tossed some perfectly good plywood into the dipsy-dumpster he had parked out front on the street. Glad I came home when I did because about a half hour later, the company came and picked the dumpster up :thumb:. This was quite timely as I have a cutoff bin rebuild on my list. The current bin has worked well but, I had grossly underestimated the amount of cutoffs I would have around.

Cutoff Bin v2 (1).jpg . Cutoff Bin v2 (2).jpg

The new design stores boards on edge for easier access and will hold much more material in the same footprint. The units will be modular as well so I can reconfigure if that becomes an issue. The center dividers and backs will be made from the free particle board LOML brings me home from work. Each pod will stack and bolt to the one below sized for pieces 40" and over, 30" and over, 24", 20" etc. It is times like this that I am glad I made a larger sled.

Cutoff Bin v2 (3).jpg

As long as I'm building these cheap, I might as well use the $30 dado stack I got on clearance at Lowe's. Thank you Lowe's for clearance-ing your Freud-made CMT dado stacks so you could start selling your Freud-made Irwin dado stacks :D

Cutoff Bin v2 (4).jpg

Free plywood isn't always flat and the tablesaw is not the best tool to dado large panels on. This trick takes some of the sway out so you can get a consistent dado depth.

Cutoff Bin v2 (5).jpg

I am pretty poor at working with sheet goods and you guys that do this sort of work would probably split a gut watching my methods. At any rate, this is a base unit for stuff 40" and longer so you get the idea. There will be a base to level things and get them up off the floor a couple inches. The stacked, bolted-together units will attach to the wall through the back. Sorry, no drawings as I just kinda eye-balled this with pencil, paper and tape measure :eek:.

Cutoff Bin v2 (6).jpgCutoff Bin v2 (7).jpg

Looks like it'll work nicely, Glenn.

I have dumpster diving in my blood. A few weeks ago someone threw away a stack of plywood cabinet doors in the dumpster behind my apartment. I almost snagged them, then decided not to. Not only do I have no place to store them, I have no tools here to do anything with them. :doh:

Pretty vague first post. This will give you a better idea of where I am headed. The size and number of "pods" isn't fixed yet but, probably something like this; the one in the picture is about 40" x 25" x 10" inside:

Attachments

• Cutoff Bin v2 (8).jpg
    Cutoff Bin v2 (8).jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Capture.JPG.jpg
    Capture.JPG.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 46
Clever idea Glenn. Only thing i would do is to have something on the bottom like say a set of draws to lift it off the floor. I dont fancy getting on my knees to see whats in the lower levels. :)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Clever idea Glenn. Only thing i would do is to have something on the bottom like say a set of draws to lift it off the floor. I dont fancy getting on my knees to see whats in the lower levels. :)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

It is 4" off the floor with a toe-kick platform to keep random dirt out. By the time I get all the pods stacked there won't be room for a drawer unit underneath; each pod is just under a foot high. Great idea though for a modification for someone who may want to do that. I always try to work drawers into nearly any shop fixture. I have visions of a tall pod about midway up for those pesky plywood panels that are too small for the sheetgoods area but too big to just lay around, We;ll see how she evolves ;-)

Very nice. Also got a few idea from the pics. Like the little bridge between your tablesaw and outfeed table. I had mine spread apart the other day and had thought about something similar so that I could work on that side of the table if I needed to glue or nail something I was assembling, rather than pulling the saw or table away each time. The corner clamp jigs and gauge were also good ideas I could use from time to time.

Very nice. Also got a few idea from the pics. Like the little bridge between your tablesaw and outfeed table. I had mine spread apart the other day and had thought about something similar so that I could work on that side of the table if I needed to glue or nail something I was assembling, rather than pulling the saw or table away each time. The corner clamp jigs and gauge were also good ideas I could use from time to time.

Thanks Darren. The little bridge is just a piece of scrap that I cut to size and lightly wedged in there a couple years ago. I often do shellac work on the outfeed table and rub the pad on the 'bridge' after I'm done and before I toss them. I think it is darn-near water proof by now :D. My 6" duct to the planer runs along the back of the saw so the little piece of scrap bridges the gap (I got tired of fishing for small cutoffs that dropped into the twilight-zone between saw and outfeed.

As to the corner clamps; super easy to make if you have a tablesaw sled or a good miter gauge. They are like some other super simple gizmos that we pick up from the tips and tricks articles along our WWing journey. Do yourself a favor and make a half dozen large ones and small ones. It is ridiculous how many times I reach for them. Not only for squaring carcasses but, they act as a 3rd hand for holding things upright and all kinds of odd-jobs.

I know. pretty boring but . . . I got the second pod done. Each pod attaches to the one below and, each pod has a pair of pocket holes into the wall studs. I thought I would have to shim each level to keep things lined up but, the first two have gone right in.

Cutoff Bin v2 (9).jpgCutoff Bin v2 (10).jpgCutoff Bin v2 (11).jpg

Here's number 3.

Cutoff Bin v2(12).jpg

I need to pause here awhile and come up with something better for all my skinny stuff. I used to store them overhead and in tubes stuffed in the old cutoff bin but, this cluster of what not has become overgrown. Pieces like this come in handy for edge trim, repairs on like wood, small details and so forth but, until opportunity knocks, they are just in the way.

Cutoff Bin v2(13).jpg . Cutoff Bin v2(14).jpg . Cutoff Bin v2(15).jpg

Time for a cup of coffee and some pondering.