Squeeky floor fix

Greg, a nail will always loosen up eventually if the two pieces of material are not fitted solidly together and there is any "give" to either of the pieces, whereas a screw will hold the two pieces tightly together. I remember a report over a year ago somewhere that said this system really worked exactly as advertised and whoever it was that used it was well pleased with it. Note: I have not personally used it, (concrete floors in our house), but I would sure be willing to try it if I had a need for it. I noticed the reviews seemed good on Amazon as well.

Let us know how it works for you if you try it, (never know when I might have a need for it as well).:dunno:

Greg, I've seen this used on a Canadian DIY show .... oh about 9 years ago. (The host had a reputation as a straight shooter, so I tend to trust him) So it has been around for a while. But I don't have any personal experience. I think I'd rather work from below, but if the basement ceiling is finished, then you don't have much choice, do you?

The toughest part is finding the joist... When you know where that is a finish, or trim screw, will do the same thing. I have done this many times in my home and customers' homes... However, that kit certainly isn't expensive and seems to make finding the joist a bit of a breeze.

Greg, On a different place. Someone used a pocket hole jig from underneath and went thru the joist. If you can this might work better as it will pull the floor tight again.
Al

Thanks for the comments. :thumb:

The only way to approach the problem is through the carpet into the sub-floor/joists (from the top).

Our house appears to be a 2 story, but is actually a multi-level (6) with several stairs. There are no unfinished ceilings.

I think I'll give it a try.

Greg, I can't tell if this is the same thing or not, but there was an episode of Ask This Old House where Tom Silva used something that looked like this. The screws would go in, then you snap them off just below the subsurface so that you couldn't feel anything walking on them even barefooted. He was sold on it, if this is indeed the same thing. Jim.

It does work...

Yes it does work. I have used these when doing a 1 year punch list for customers. One thing you have to watch is when you drive the screw, you don't grab any of the carpet strands because it can pull and unravel your carpet. I have also just driven 2 1/2 course drywall screws in, leaving about 3/4 of the head sticking up and snapping it off with my hammer. Most screws will snap below the surface if you can hit them back and forth enough. Once again you need to watch how it goes it, because you can do more damage then good if you put runs in the carpet.

-George

Good news... Thanks!

It is the same unit that was on This Old House...according to their ads. Good to hear from others who have had success. I think I'll go ahead and get a set.

Thanks for the offer Kevin. Amazon has the kit, with 50 screws for $21 plus shipping, and just the screws for $10 + S/H.

Well, I got the kit.....and it works! I got about 80% of my squeeks done. The kit is well built, and simple to use. They included 2 of the rafter finding "bits", which was a good thing... Those things get HOT when you miss a beam and it spins in the wood and carpet!!! :doh: The end that goes into the drill chuck could also be a bit longer.

There are a couple places that I have not gotten the right spot yet, or I may have to try driving an air powered nail or two. The squeek is not one from the sub-floor rubbing on the rafter...it's in a spot between them.

One thing I started doing is marking where I put a screw, with a small piece of masking tape. The tape also marks where the rafter is at.

Overall it was well worth the $20...but the S&H for the kit from one supplier and S&H from another for extra nails was a bit stiff. Still worth it, and I would recomment it to any with floor squeeks.

Thanks all...

Last edited: