the results are in!!!!!

Dan Noren

Staff member
it seems the clock was the only entry this year, and it took second place. the chess board took second place as well. the bird house didn't make the cut (no surprise there), neither did the goblet. so 50% placed, and both second, i'm pretty happy with that. :D

thanks bob! silly me, i should have posted the pics of the winners. i'll get pics of them at the fair on sunday. these will have to do for now.

Attachments

• finished clock.jpg
    finished clock.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 28
  • finished view a.jpg
    finished view a.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 27
Congatulations Dan:score::congrats:. Well done. Someone on one of the posts raised a good question as to the qualifications of these judges. If one has no idea how the rings were made on the goblet then you have little ability to judge the finished article except from a like dislike point of view. That becomes entirely subjective and i dont think it would be fair. BTW i thought that goblet was good.Now we need pics of them ribbons just for your bragging rights :camera::thumb::D

the judging is the same if there are 30 or just one. if just one, and it scores enough points for second, second it is. first place isn't automatic if you're the only one. the judges are tough.

Having judged more than a few shows, I can tell you how tough it is. There is a point system and I think that is the fairest way. Even when expert woodworkers are judging, there is still the aspect of more knowledge in one area than another, but you are tasked with judging it all and remaining fair and impartial. It is not easy and I can tell you from experience there is much discussion among the judges about how many points for each of the five areas; design, wood selection, appropriateness, craftsmanship, and finish. You might ask about appropriateness. Well, consider an intended food bowl made of open cell wood with a high gloss poly finish? Or a bread board with bark inclusion? Or an unappealing variety of species? Pretty open catagory but never one that was a deal breaker, just a confirming selection of de-selection in close calls.

And some shows, the judges were available to the builder to answer questions about the judging of their piece. Always a fun time! :doh: