A Storage Idea for Long or Short Strips

glenn bradley

While working on the new version of my cutoff bins I realized in eliminating the old cutoff bin, I was losing my cluttered, inefficient but, at least out of the way, stash place for thin strips of "stuff" worth keeping. I broke off from the cutoff bins for a cup of coffee and a pondering session . . . This is what I came up with:

Take some old plywood and some common pine.
Thin Strip Stash(1).jpg . Thin Strip Stash(2).jpg

Rip the pine for sides and dado them to fit the ply.

Thin Strip Stash(3).jpg . Thin Strip Stash(4).jpg . Thin Strip Stash(5).jpg

Run some 1/8" dados down the length and find yet another use for that pegboard the previous owners left behind. The pegboard lets me move the dividers if I want. For now, I'll start here.

Thin Strip Stash(6).jpg . Thin Strip Stash(7).jpg

Here it is with most of my stuff in it; what doesn't fit, is firewood :thumb:.

Thin Strip Stash(8).jpg

It swings up out of the way and uses a tongue of scrap and a 3/8" bolt for a latch.

Thin Strip Stash(9).jpg . Thin Strip Stash(10).jpg

I have a folding step stool that I keep in the shop for reaching various items. It steps me up to pull the bolt/catch. The size and lengths were determined by what I had to stash but, the dimensions could be easily adjusted. Just don't make it too big, or it could get away from you :eek:.

i got to agree with you bob,, i was so hoping that glenn had answered my prayers... but not this time maybe his next invention will .. works well for you glenn..attah boy