Flying at the Black Rock desert

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So Sharon convinced me we needed to take the camper out for a shake down run.

We headed on up to the Black Rock desert last night to fly some planes.

The time is odd, because this week there is a huge festival they have there called 'Burning Man' Technically it starts on Sunday, but there was plenty of people going up early to get ready for it. For one week in August, 'Black Rock City', as they call it, becomes the third largest city in the state of Nevada.

Anyway, I ended up taking 5 planes up, and bringing 4 back in perfect working condition. Due to a mechanical failure, and me losing orientation on the plane, my fastest plane, the flying wing, ended up trying to dig a big hole in the playa. I've had a flying wing like my 'Zagi' for many years, so guess I'll have to make a new one this winter.

Just a few pics...

FWW-6819.jpg
The fleet prior to the zagi digging a hole.
20120824-IMG_6775.jpg
Sunset over Black Rock
20120824-IMG_6782.jpg
The lights of Black Rock City off in the distance.

20120825-IMG_6821.jpg
Sharon flying my motorized glider.

...'Burning Man' Technically it starts on Sunday, but there was plenty of people going up early to get ready for it. For one week in August, 'Black Rock City', as they call it, becomes the third largest city in the state of Nevada.

Check out the satellite photo... someone at google made sure they took the photo the right week! ;)

I've seen various photos of the event over the years, but never been close. I think it would be quite the spectacle:camera:, but probably not my cup of tea...:scram:

Yeah, We kind of prefer the solitude of the desert ourselves.
And man it is dusty and dirty out there.
I can't imagine spending a week on the playa.

Still it's a very interesting place to go. You just go where ever you want and there you are!

that spectator looks pretty involved with the controls,, where was bucky and logan?

Yep, She's flying a plane!

Since it was only one night, the kids got to go camping in their kennel. The dust on the playa is very alkaline and not real good for them anyway.

Wow look at all the open space. When I flew RC planes I had to learn to keep it close as we didnt have alot of space to fly. Dug a few holes as well. Even took one for a swim in a nearby river.

Check out the satellite photo... someone at google made sure they took the photo the right week! ;)

I've seen various photos of the event over the years, but never been close. I think it would be quite the spectacle:camera:, but probably not my cup of tea...:scram:

Man, I didn't realize it took up such a large area. You could spend a week just wandering the "streets" of Black Rock City. I'd imagine it's a pretty trippy/hippie/funky/skunky event, though.

Pretty cool...do the electronics {servo's etc.} survive the hole diggings? I used to do the 10th scale off road truck racing years back, I thought it was expensive until I started looking at the flying machines..chills just thinking about tanking one :eek: