what would you do

larry merlau

if your neighbor in the country that moved next to ,not you to them, called and complained about charlie barking? yet its ok for then to race up and down the drive way with a loud truck that has a major power steering squeal and loud muffler at all times of the day and had another car that would come in at 11;30pm and honk its horn..during the week when we would be getting up a 5am.. while you were entertaining quests..

Have a big woodworking get together and show them what they are up against! :D

Seriously, I guess is be pointing out what you just did, have a respectable talk, and hope for a win win situation.

Darren VIA tapatalk

I agree diplomacy should be tried first. Just explain to them that Charlie's barking is a recent development. He only seems to bark when he hears strange noises. If they could be a little quieter, they won't set him to barking and everyone will be happy.

This is what happens when you hang around people like me. You get a dose of neighboritis. :rofl: Now i have no clue what the heck to do when it happens in the country i thought the whole idea of moving to the country was to get away from characters like this. Heck maybe you need a bigger property now. :) I dunno about diplomacy i aint seen it work yet ....anywhere would love to believe it can and does but my experience is it only seems to kick in after lots of lives have been lost. I thought they tried that diplomacy thing at the beginning of WW2 and it did not stop a madman or the war. :(
Reason only works with folks that are reasonable. Dont sound to me like them folks is in keeping with the words meaning.

if a dog is barking excessively after lets say 10 pm, Id say this issue has to be addressed.

wow, funny you mentioned this.

a couple of months ago, the house directly in back of mine was sold to new owners.

They have been having parties in their yard almost every weekend, maybe not parties, but family get togethers I guess, and they blast, and I mean blast music till midnight or later on the weekends.
I dont complain, I like the sounds of life.
But, the mother lives on the top floor, and there is a huge deck out there, and she puts her little poodle out there at night and he whines and yaps for 3 hours straight.
Im not sure why she does this.
My corner neigbhor, who is a nurse, works long crazy hours, came over to me a few days ago and asked me how I take the dog barking, and I told her it doesnt really bother me, its a little dog and its usuallly over by 11 pm.
She however, cant take it, and she is a dog owner herself, so she has spoke to them.
makes sense, because I havent heard the dog at all since a few days ago, so I guess the people were nice enough to keep the dog inside at night. Or, she reported the noise and the police asked her too, I dont know the outcome.

larry, if it were me, Id walk over there, apologize and say youre going to keep a closer eye on charlie, keep him a bit more quieter. And lets see how that works out. Better to be friends with neighbors that go through years of disliking them

Last edited:
well this person owned the property and decide t put a new house on it right tight to my line in 2007, prior to that i had tried to purchase the property and they wouldnt sell any.. i used to baby sit her kids.. she is about 12yrs older than me and has at least one son of her own that is nothing but trouble, even torched his dads shop building apartment combo 2 yrs ago.. they have been making disturbances every since they moved in i think the kids live there as well most have been divorced and came back to mommy to mooch.. i have ignored them and the noise they make but the dog barking is from one of two things one charlie is outside tied up and we were inside eating supper.. new people he wanted to be part of it so after the call i brought him in.. as for hours on end no.. 30 mins or more sometime in the situation i mentioned earlier.. but i have tied him up to be outside while i am spraying finish and he will bark occasionally to want back in the shop but i dont have respirator for him:) and besides he would just eat it:)... i really think that one of her kids must work 2cd or 3rd shift and was trying to sleep.. she told me to get a bark collar ,and that he barks anytime we are gone,, well if i am gone most times he is with me but when i dont have hm he is in the house..while on the phone i mentioned there loud trucks and she said that it was just one or two times well thats not the case.. and i said that i didnt hear charlie barking,, because he was next to me at the time and she said that he was still barking.,.. i said i cant hear him and that i must have alot of insulation in my home i said i hope so i dont want o freeze in the winter and sorry you dont .. i need to go and hung up.. i wont answer next time!!! she isnt liked by any of the neighbors and the north neighbor has dogs too and they also bark.. wasnt a the right time to be hounding me!!!

Should we all bring our dogs to the gathering?

This is a no win Larry. They are looking for a fight way it sounds. I am in the ignore camp along with making sure Charlie isn't making excessive noise. He is a dog after all and allowed to bark at times.

yep if it isnt constant, or late at night, I dont think there is a real problem other than a pain in the neck neighbor.
oh, I know what that is like.
and so do alot of others here.

but if you honestly can say the dog doesnt bark constantly and have a habit of late night barking outside, then the neighbor has no grounds to approach you.

the old problem is that you have to live with these people next door to you and sometimes its better to be a bit more on the giving side as to keep peace.

I didnt think living in a somewhat rural area like I thought you did, these things are a problem with all the land and space.

well, carol.. i hear you.. but i dont think they are brave enough for that one... and i certainly wouldnt want to be them if they did... he doesnt bark at night he is inside with us and will bark once to get in after his restroom times are done:) other than that he is quiet wont bark unless he wants you to play fetch or in the the shop or house.. does bark at intrudes in the driveway or going slowly by the house thats just being a watch dog..or the above mentioned times when to many in house to have him there too..

Sounds like he's being a normal dog to me Larry. Tough to give advice, but hitting the ignore button sounds like a good plan to me.