Not a joke. I wish it was.

gotta be honest here, if I walked into my shop and saw that thing, Im pretty sure I would have freaked out totally.
Im not a wuss, but snakes, I just cant seem to get used to them, even when they are in a cage.

Right there with you. I just about stepped on a rattler a couple of months back and I did the funniest backwards dance you ever saw and am pretty sure some funny sounds came out of my mouth at the time...

Hmmm....live in desert. Snakes live in desert. Maybe need a snake pistol with those shot shells. OK, guys, help me here. What am I shopping for? Be specific with details and sources. My ol' heart doesn't do well with snakes. Had one, bull snake (said to a be a 'good' snake. Yeah, right!) in my shop in California. Neighbor agreed to remove it. What a comedy of errors but the snake wound up safely removed and likely vowed never to enter a building again! But I think I'd rather be prepared than to trust the neighbors willing to deal with this. A copperhead!?! Yikes! :eek:

Nicely handled, Frank.
2gunsfiring_v1.gif

... OK, guys, help me here. What am I shopping for?...

My recommendation would be a good-quality revolver, in pretty much any caliber from .22 Long Rifle (LR) on up. Revolvers are reliable, simple to shoot, and easy to maintain. For someone of your size, I think a .357 Magnum would be a good match. A .357 Mag is a sizable round capable of dispatching more than snakes, but it can also shoot .38 Special rounds, which are lighter and have less kick. Regardless of the caliber, you should be able to buy shot shell cartridges for it, and they are great for snakes and other smaller critters. Smith & Wesson is my personal favorite in revolvers, but there are a number of other good brands.

But before buying anything, I'd suggest getting together with someone who knows guns and gun safety to give you some hands-on mentoring. Shouldn't be hard to find someone like that in either Nevada or Arizona. ;)

Yikes Frank, lead poisoning would be my choice for it.

Carol, My wife has a single action .22 revolver that she likes that would work well for those situations that isn't too expensive. Here is some shot ammo as an example:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cci-shot-shells-22-lr-12-20-rds.aspx?a=289683

If you've not had much experience with firearms, I'd repeat Vaughn's suggestion and find someone to go over safety and do a little training.

if I discharged a weapon in my garage, Id probably lose all my gun licenses, and possibly face a huge fine.

Im quite sure Id have to move, my wife would never be able to go outside here again.

we were visiting my 94 y/o grandmother many moons ago, when my kids were young, she was staying in a bungalow community in upstate NY one summer, and a tiny snake, maybe 8 inches long, slithered under our lounge chairs out by the pool, while my son tried to catch it, my wife locked herself in our car, and refused to come out until I showed it to her dead, or burned down the woods where it went to.
Ofcourse, I didnt start any fires, and we really didnt miss her that much at dinner that night.

OK, Don. I'll bring my 22 pistol. Maybe that can work. My snake gun in California was shotgun, but I never used it. A friend borrowed it one day along with two shells for a rattler. He need two shells. He shot the tail off with the first shot. :rofl: Then he had two holes to fix! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Vaughn has good taste, as usual.
Frank, ugh, that picture gives me the willies, maybe even the heebie jeebies. I've taken snakes out of the house before, but not poisonous ones. You done good.

OK, Don. I'll bring my 22 pistol...

Ah, you already have a .22 pistol. You should be all set for snakes once you pick up a box of shot shells for it. :thumb:

I, being a typical male, would always recommend going bigger than needed. You know, in case a rabid grizzly bear or mountain lion happens to break into your shop. :rofl:

Kind of overkill, but here's my idea of a snake gun:

Mossy 500 - 1.JPG

:D

As much as I dislike snakes I have to say that was a pretty one. Make some nice pen blanks. When I was a young teenage punk, I had some buddies that liked to go rattle snake hunting. They to there 22's, I always showed with a 12 gauge shotgun! First little rattler I walked into I shot two shots. Never hit a thing but the sky. Shot straight up in the air! They never let me forget it!

...A friend borrowed it one day along with two shells for a rattler. He need two shells. He shot the tail off with the first shot. :rofl: Then he had two holes to fix! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Kind of a threadjack, but when I was about 10 or 11 years old, my dog spotted a rattlesnake around the base of a large sagebrush plant in our yard. I grew up in a house full of loaded guns, and knew how to use them, but I also knew I'd face the wrath of my dad if I was to use one of them without his express permission and supervision. So I grabbed my 35# pull longbow and my entire collection of about 6 or 7 target arrows, and set out to rid the yard of the snake.

Out of those 6 or 7 shots into the sagebrush, only one managed to hit the snake, and it was near the tail. I was out of arrows, and I wasn't about to reach into the bush to retrieve my arrows with an agitated rattlesnake within striking distance. Although I felt terrible about leaving a wounded animal, I figured I didn't have any choice. (And for reasons I don't recall, I decided at the time that I shouldn't tell my parents about it when they got home that night.) The next day I went back to the sagebrush, and saw that the wounded snake was still there, but had moved enough that I could grab the arrows that had missed. After another shot or two, I pinned the doomed snake down with a shot right behind its head. After that, it was a free-for-all shooting spree that resulted in a very dead rattler and a snake skin looking like Swiss cheese. :rolleyes:

OK, Don. I'll bring my 22 pistol. Maybe that can work. My snake gun in California was shotgun, but I never used it. A friend borrowed it one day along with two shells for a rattler. He need two shells. He shot the tail off with the first shot. :rofl: Then he had two holes to fix! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

OK I already have some.22 magnum and long riffle shot shells and we only need to go about 2 blocks to the sate trust land to be legal so should be easy to do.

Kind of a threadjack,

First rattler I saw out here was the first year we lived here. The garbage truck was at the end of the driveway and the garbage men were looking at something in a sage brush. I grabbed a shovel and ran down the driveway. Apparently a rattler had surprised one of the garbage men by hiding under the garbage can! They were throwing rocks at the snake in the bush. I grabbed a pretty big rock and pretty soon the snake started slithering across the road. I just kind of dropped the big rock right on its head and that pretty much took care of it.

Since then I use the little single shot .410 ithaca my dad got me when I was a little tyke. It does a good job with no ricochet, but the problem is that generally their heads just completely disappear.:dunno:

Haven't seen but one copper head here in East Tn... he was pretty little and hiding in an old barrel the former tenants were using as a burn barrel... when we dumped it he came slithering out.... my son stepped on him and crushed his head.... but I do have about a 4 or 5 foot black snake that lives under my shop... my shop is raised on concrete blocks and hopefully he won't come looking for a place out of the weather... he won't hurt me, but likely will cause me to hurt my self.

When we were living in a suburb of Houston, I got home from work and my wife told me she had killed a snake in the front flower bed and wanted me to get rid of it.... she had taken a shovel to it and he its head buried about 8 inches in the dirt... probably suffocated him by sticking his head so deep in the dirt.:D:D

When I pulled it out, discover she had buried the head of a water moccasin.... not a snake to mess with.