Well its Friday again:)

larry merlau

dont know what you all have going but i got a work sheet a mile long,, and hope to get some of it done before next wed when the conquistador arrives here to start our festivities for next week:)

Over to BIL's house tonight to sit on the porch and sip some of the good stuff. Early tomorrow a long bike ride under the remaining blue moon...then 4-5hrs in the shop assembling and rubbing oil on maple and then a nap. Dinner out with the LOML Saturday. Sunday will be rubbing more oil on maple and then a cookout at the MIL's with the whole family. Monday relaxing and delivering some finish projects. Suppose to cool off too! :thumb:

Doing some garage saling this morning. Picked up a 1935 Singer sewing machine for the wife (Got her a 1938 model a few weeks ago, too), and a couple other small items. No tools this week, though.

DSCN0899.jpg DSCN0889.jpg

Last edited:
boy you sure made some points jim.. that should be good for another 25 or so planes or the equivalent:)

If he buys enough singer's to match his number of planes he's gonna need another shed for sure! :D My mom still uses my grandmas from the 30s as well. Just stiched up couple of things for me acutally.

I've got 3 big things on my punch list this weekend:
Finish gluing up and then planing down as many cutting boards as I can get out of what I've got 'ready' to go. (there's more planed, but not cut to length for glue ups yet). Finish cutting and then assemble the jake's chairs and get them off of my workbench. and rebuild my shop doorway and door.

Date night tonight with my wife. Saturday and Sunday, I'm hoping to get the concrete board up around the tub this weekend and maybe get some tile going up, still need to grab a couple of 2x4's to finish out the large niche. Monday my Nephew and I may be heading down to a friends house to shoot trap and such. I haven't shot trap in 20 years, so should be interesting.

Doing some garage saling this morning. Picked up a 1935 Singer sewing machine for the wife (Got her a 1938 model a few weeks ago, too), and a couple other small items. No tools this week, though.

That is a nice one, I used to have one about like it. Those direct drive ones are hard to find too.

View attachment 70067 View attachment 70068

Jim you gave me a flashback with the singer pic. When i am settled from the move i will try to show you why. Goes back to when i was a tot of around 18months old and mom had a singer but the one the had the treadle i think its called and i used to sit underneath on the treadle and rock on it. The machine just woke up the memory cells.:rofl::thumb: Good find does your wife collect these old machines. Heck they take up more space than planes.;)

If he buys enough singer's to match his number of planes he's gonna need another shed for sure! :D My mom still uses my grandmas from the 30s as well. Just stiched up couple of things for me acutally.

Jeff i had not seen your post but we thought the same things. Looks like Larry had a bead on it too. :rofl: We all know you was doing it to get your shares up hey Jim. :D

Well i got a very busy weekend if we hope to be ready to come down to MI.
First up gotta get the rest of the house moved i would say at this stage we at 75% inc shop. (what a mess my tools are in, now i know why they say a move in business is worse than a fire :) )

Then Sunday we go down to Kingston to take the Freshman his room kit since football camp is over and they get to move to their proper residence rooms today. We staying overnight because with Monday being a holiday here, it also happens to be the opening game of the season so we might get to see him play if he makes the starting line up. I very much doubt that but who knows. He made it through football camp past two weeks and survived the cuts that took place. Quiet a rough time because even though the guys got recruited they cut 25 of their recruits gradually over the 2 week period. So he has got to be worth something. Saw him play quiet a bit in the preseason game that Queens had against McGill and they beat them 23 to 9. Monday Queens plays York University from Toronto.

After that its the final bit of house move and then packing for Mi. (hooray...really looking forward to meeting all you folk. )

No real plans for me this weekend, so I'll be making it up as I go along. I've got some work stuff and some other writing/editing project things to do, so I suspect that's where most of my time will be spent. Pretty much everyone I know is headed out of town. I wouldn't mind going somewhere too, but I'm sticking around to take care of dogs instead (mine and my sister's).

Family reunion on my farm this Sunday. Looks to be a great chance it will be rained out, first time since we started this about 15 years ago. Got three studs to haul to an Amish friends, leaving two of them at his house, bringing back the one stud as a gelding (same horse with a whole 'nother outlook on life!!!!).

Not to mention the new, higher singing voice. :whistling:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Yep, and also a little know fact, freshly castrated horses can't buck!:eek: The bucking cord must get disconnected for a while during that procedure!:huh::huh: So, will be spending some time in the saddle on his back as long as the bucking cord stays disconnected!:eek::thumb:

For those missing the sarcasm, he actually won't buck very hard or at all for a few days because his muscles will be a little sore. It is an excellent time to within reason work/ride an otherwise rough horse. By working him he will get the needed exercise and as the muscles tighten back up, he will have learned to accept me on his back and within a couple of weeks, many things will come together for him and make him a very useful companion here on my farm.:thumb:

....... many things will come together for him and make him a very useful companion here on my farm.:thumb:

You know, I bet he would of co-operated just a well, if you would of whispered that he had a choice....I know I would :rofl:

Nothing much going on here, neighbors all outta town makes for a quiet holiday weekend...& Like Vaughn, I'm dog sitting as well myself, though for one of the neighbors.

The 1938 model (the one in the pictures) is like new. Even the gold leaf decals aren't worn off it. It's a Model 201, full gear drive (no belts or pulleys), and the wife says it stitches like a dream. The 1936 model I got today needs the power cord replaced, and a new belt before I can try it out. It's a Model 99-13, in a much more plain cabinet than the other one.

BTW, it took a couple week''s work to clean up and restore/conserve the art deco cabinet for that 201.

Now, all that said, the wife already has two new Janome machines, plus an older Brother/Kenmore machine, plus an eight thread serger, and a longarm quilting machine with an eleven foot trolley/table, so the Singers are interesting to her, but I ain't making all that many points from them. :D