what GRIT?

There are systems that use a 24(or longer)x1.5" belt...some folks swear by it...I don't like swearing:eek:. IMHO, you can't achieve a quality/scary sharp edge. Stone wheel is prefered by the majority of turning folk...either wet like a Tormek/Grizzly or the white/blue Norton or even metal wheels like the CBN. I always worry about flex on the belt changing the angle of the edge. Hope that was more than you wanted and less than you thought you'd get:huh::wave:.
http://www.aawforum.org/vbforum/archive/index.php?t-8019.html - try this for a start.

Last edited:
Larry, I've seen guys use anywhere from 60 to 220 grit. For what you're planning, I think the 220 end of that scale would be best.

I wasn't bringing my slow speed grinder, don't know if we will turn enough to need a grinder. I have ordered new diamond stones, figure on using them more and the grinder less this year. Also bringing my EZ wood tools (carbide cutters rock!!!!). Carbide cutters on my turning tools are like cords on my plane!!!!!

I always just used whatever I had installed. But I have 80 and 120 grit Norton wheels on my slow speed grinder. And it is pretty much reserved for my lathe tools. I have a high speed grinder for everything else.