planer guide rod lubrication?

Tony Baideme

Hi Guys. I have a little Delta 12" lunchbox planer, and I have had to constantly clean rust off and wax the four upright guide rods on the planer.

Question is, "What do you folks use to keep these guides clean and lubed?" And, "How often?"

Note: we get plenty salt air here and even the cutter head gets rusty too. Cast iron tables are a commitment to keep from rusting.

Thanks for any advice,

Aloha, Tony

I use a product called "top saver". I use it on my planer, ts, jointer, bs, and mortiser. It takes off the rust and leaves a slippery film that doesn't collect dust. I apply it about once a month.

I am going to highjack my own thread, but on the same machine.

What do others do to keep the feed rollers gripping the wood and feeding smoothly and continuously? At times, mine literally stops and I have to pull the material along from the outfeed side, of course keeping my hands in the clear. Replacement rollers seem to be getting unobtainable, but my supplier is going to keep looking for me.

In the meantime, what can I do to get the roller surfaces stickier? Any thoughts on maybe wrapping self adhesive sand sandpaper ( like would be done on a drum sander)?

I am open to trying suggestions from the "family".

Aloha, Tony

Tony, I've had good luck cleaning the rubber feed rollers in my little Delta lunchbox planer with denatured alcohol. It tends to make them more "grippy".