Delta 10" midi lathe motor

Billy Burt

I thought I'd pose this question to my fellow spinney folks. I have 2 older Delta midi lathes. One of them is fully functional and I use it regularly. The other has a bad motor. Delta has discontinued the replacement motors and I know that PSI makes a varialble speed replacement that will fit it, but I've heard it is under powered. I'd like to get the other Delta running so my grandkids can turn beside me (I have 2 who want to learn so far). And I'd like it to be variable speed. Have any of you heard of someone successfully replacing the motor with an option other than the PSI VS? I'm wondering how different the set up is for the newer Delta VS midi, or possibly a Jet VS mini and whehter or not I m ight be able to retrofit one of those motors. Any thoughts or success stories?

I have a Delta midi and replaced the motor with the PSI variable speed. Second usage and the controller burned out. Returned it to PSI (I paid shipping) and they replaced it. New unit burned out after third use on small bowl. Repeat process, new unit burned out after second use. Gave up on the PSI junk (shipping cost was accumulating).

Dang, Joe! And I just had a fellow on IAP tell me that he upgraded both a Jet and Delta with the PSI VS and he couldn't be happier. I'm not sure if he does more than pens or small spindles, but I like turning small bowls and HFs on my smaller lathe. This leaves me even more perplexed. But I'll come up with something. I may just have to ask Delta if the motor for the new 12" midi will fit mine... or can be made to work.

Sorry it wasn't what you wanted to hear. I talked to the fellow at PSI (can't remember his name) very nice individual, but he said that he had to test all the controllers as they came in to weed out the defective units. Sounds like poor (or none) quality control from China. Anyway, after the fact I got the impression that the variable speed was really intended for very light duty like pen work.

Well, I went and did it; ordered the PSI unit yesterday. And my functional Delta threw my last belt Friday so I had to order new belts that afternoon. Neither will be here until next week sometime. So I've continued to try and organize more more efficiency in my small two car garage. But I'd rather be turning!

I have seen the Delta mini fitted with an after market motor suspended below the lathe on a pivot. Gravity kept the tension on the belt. My Delta mini crapped the motor and I sent the whole lathe to someone. Can't remember who. I have the Delta variable speed and so far am happy.

Dale, I think it was me that got your old one. Was it a 46-250? It now sports the PSI VS conversion. The new motor does seem underpowered, especially on lower speeds. I've actually bogged it down while sanding Friday. But I'll learn its limitations soon enough. To add to my frustration, the start capacitor on my LA 200 Midi went out Thursday. So I'll be saving up for a new Delta VS midi.

I could swap you my Delta variable midi for your Powermatic. Save you the trouble of wiring your shop for 220. I'll even deliver it.

I bet you would, Dale! But thanks for the offer. I think I'll keep the PM. Saving up to get it wired (that will come before a new Delta VA) and I can't wait to get back to it.