Forcast for today - hot with possibility of snakes

Chuck Ellis

When I get out to my shop usually first thing I check is the temperature... I have a thermometer mounted over my work bench underneath a shelf that's mounted over the window... at first I thought it was just a lanyard or something I had put up over the thermometer...guess I need to wear my glasses more...

He's cute, but he couldn't stay.... snakes give me the willies... don't know what he was, but he didn't appreciate me poking him and knocking him off his perch... I put him in the woods up on the hill so he could find some other place to hide.

DSCF4488.jpgDSCF4485.JPG

Great, That's all I need to see, Climbing snakes. I look for them on the ground and now they are climbing up on shelves and under shelves.

Now that would creep me out a bit too!

You are a better man than me for sure. If that were my thermometer in my shop, I would be hanging a new one because the old one would have been the unlucky bystander in that there gunfight between me and mr. snake. Like most unlucky bystanders, it would have gotten hit. You guys and your snakes are giving me the willies!!!

I'm no expert, but based on the photos that looks like a Northern diamondback king bull boa cobra. Lucky you came out alive, if you ask me. :eek: :D

I'm still trying to figure out how this one climbed up to get to the thermometer in the first place. I do agree with the others...I don't like snakes (or most other reptiles, for that matter). I sure wouldn't want to find one in my shop.

With it being as dry as it's been, the ground around the back half of my shop has shrunk back and left a small gap for critters to get in. I have been expecting to find one or two somewhere in the shop, but haven't (yet). I remember once going into my dad's shop and felt something cold and clammy drop across my arm as I opened the door. A garden snake had slivered its way on top of the door jam and fell when I opened the door up. To this day I'll open the door to even my shop without actually reaching my hand inside, just push the door away to see what's there first.

Welcome to the club. :eek:
What kind was it? Pic is fuzzy. If not venomous I would have left alone. Pizzen kind? Ded.

Not sure, but from pictures I saw on the wonder world web, think it was a rat snake... don't think we have too many poisonous type here other than copper heads... I know there's a 5 foot black snake that I've seen under the shop and maybe in the wood pile... I move logs in the pile cautiously... I know he probably won't hurt me, but for sure will make me hurt myself.