Glenn the Good Samaritin

Glenn came down Friday, late afternoon and is still here into Sunday.

We have been working on drawer cabinets to fit under my lathe. Actually, I shouldn't indicate that "We" were working on the cabinets. As a father I said, "Do this. Do that. Why didn't you do it that way? Hey, find the screw yourself, I didn't drop it. That's upside down." and other helpful things while he did all of the work. In fact I worked him so hard he was sweating and wishing that I had an air conditioned garage.

We had a great time as usual (me watching, him working) with a lot of laughs.

Pics show cabinets almost finished (Saturday).

Enjoy,

JimBLathe Drawers no fronts 1.jpgLathe Drawers no fronts 3.jpg

Attachments

• Lathe Drawers no fronts 2.jpg
    Lathe Drawers no fronts 2.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 71
Looks great!

Are you going to put fronts on the drawers? Just asking as I think it would help keep the stuff out of the drawers that come of that lathe.

BTW, that lathe station is WAY TOO clean :D

Looks great!

Are you going to put fronts on the drawers? Just asking as I think it would help keep the stuff out of the drawers that come of that lathe.

BTW, that lathe station is WAY TOO clean :D

That's because dad is hard at it with the vacuum. . .

attachment.php

Looks great to me Jim.
When I saw the unfinished drawers I thought that the use of the holes for the pocket screws added a good decorative detail on them. I might exploit that idea in the future in one of my projects.

As per you giving orders and Glenn executing them, well we say here that veterany is a grade and some people are good at leading and others must follow :D;).
Besides, this way you had them the way you wanted.

Nice job by the good samaritan! I'm sure I could fill those with junk in no time at all. What's the board across the top? Is it part of a safety stop?

Yes, that is a safety "turn off the lathe" switch. Poke your finger through the hole to turn the machine on, touch the bar anyplace to turn it off.

I have these switches on my 14" bandsaw, the table saw and the lathe. I have foot switches (dead man or on/off depending on machine) on slow speed grinder, jointer, and drill press. The "hand" off switches for the thickness planer, the large bandsaw, disc sander and belt sander are quite handy---However, not as safe as a foot switch or knee switch. I usually use a foot switch when I have a router in my hand; the switches on those things are a bit too clumsy for emergency turn-offs.

The long-bar is so I can reach it no matter where I am standing.

Enjoy,

JimB