First box joints with my slot mortiser!

Alan Bienlein

Well I just used my slot mortiser to help make the Pantorouter. I needed to do some box joints for the base where you clamp your pieces and thought why not try it instead of the table saw. I clamped my resaw fence from the bandsaw to the table of the slot mortiser and clamped my pieces to it in the vertical position. I had a 1/4" router bit in it already so I used that since I already had it setup. Talk about simple! The only setup was for the depth of cut. Other than that just turn the crank the correct number of turns for the size bit you are using and get to it.
009  (800 x 601).jpg010  (601 x 800).jpg

I figure I would also attach a few pictures of the Pantorouter also. Still need to make some templates but that can wait till I get ready to start a project.
005 (800 x 601).jpg006 (800 x 601).jpg007 (800 x 601).jpg008 (800 x 601).jpg

Here you go Brent. I just went and reset up the slot mortiser to demonstrate cutting box joints with it.

You cut the parts vertically and of course at least 2 at a time.
001 (2).JPG

Clamp the pieces in place and set the stop on the mortiser to set how deep you want to cut them.
001.JPG
Then set the bit at zero which should be with the bottom of the bit even with the top of the table and then crank the height adjustment 4 turns to get to 1/4".
002.JPG003.JPG
004.JPG005.JPG
Make another 8 turns on the height adjustment and continue cutting till you reach the top.
006.JPG007.JPG008.JPG
Once you reach the top unclamp and rotate your pieces end for end and continue the process but in the opposite direction by 8 turns at a time until you reach the bottom.
009.JPG

Continued next post.....

Last edited:
Then insert the front and back pieces and turn the height adjustment to bring the cutter back to zero and proceed to cut moving the height adjustment 8 turns each time till you reach the top.
010.JPG011.JPG012.JPG
Here is what they look like with out glue.
013.JPG014.JPG

I have no clue as to what make of bit I used other than it was 1/4" . Not even sure if it was hss or solid carbide. You can use any size bit you just need to turn the height adjustment the appropriate number of turns. Nothing to fuss with except to make sure your depth of cut is correct for the thickness of material your using.

Last edited:
Thanks Alan!

Wow! That's pretty darn slick. Looks great, and I'm sure there's a lot more it can do, at least from what I remember of seeing some woodworking shows that used something like that. :thumb:

Last edited:
Well unbeknownst to me when I built the slot mortiser to do mortises I have also created a very accurate box joint jig. For a while I was lusting after the new I-box jig but couldn't justify the price since I didn't see myself making that many box joints. Well after playing with the slot mortiser making box joints I see alot of them in my future and I no longer see a need for the I-box.

I went out in the shop today after work and decided to try a box joint with two different size fingers and this is what I came up with just by varying the number of turns on the height adjustment. This was done with a 1/4" router bit to give me 1/4" and 1/2" fingers and spaces.
002.jpg

I'm going to make a few box's for LOML to store here packs of seasoning and gravy mixes in. I think I will use some contrasting woods to highlight the difference in the sizes of the fingers in the box joint.

Very cool Alan! I like the variation of the fingers. Guess one could probably do the same for a dovetail style as well?

Edit: After thinking about that...probably not...nevermind