Deck Construction - Joist-on-Beam or Joist Hanger?

David Agnew

Howdy guys. I'm going to be doing some rebuilding on a free-standing deck. It's approx 48" off the ground. The deck was expanded at some point so is now a combination of joist-on-beam and joist hanger construction. That's caused problems which I'll be trying to rectify.

Approx 12x14 deck. Beam is looking to be doubled 2x10, 14' long. Entire deck span is just over 12', so the joists will either be 12' (on beam) or 6' (hangers).

So, joist-on-beam just kind of looks scary to me. I'm planning to switch it all to joist hangers. I'm just working from the Internet and a book from Lowes... does anyone who KNOWS have a preference for one method or the other?

Thanks.

If you are going to rebuild the whole thing, I would run 2x8 joist across the short side. When you say free stnding you mean the porch is not attach to the house? Pictuers of what you are trying to rebuild would be helpful.

I might've posted per-maturely... as I got further into it, it looks like it's probably a tear down and rebuild.

Existing:
DeckExistings.jpg
Dunno how to show 'em bigger without clicking.
Anyway, the deck was a hot tub deck that got filled in when we bought the house. The red deck boards and the 4 joists under were added as filler. It's joist-to-beam construction, but the only hangers on the thing are on those 4 new joists. Everything else is just end-grain nailed. :eek: The white 4x4 posts extend up to form handrails. The black 4x4's just butt up against the underside of the decking.

Decking is 2x6 PT. Everything else is 2x8 PT.

Planned:
DeckPlan.jpg

Re-use 3 of the 4x4 posts (they're in concrete). Widen the stairs. This is joist-to-beam w/ joist hangers.

So my original question is - what about joist-on-beam? I'd have to put blocking or something between the joists to resist them falling over, right?

Thanks.

To me you're planned layout looks fine, I'd probably add another post in the center under the beam though. Also would double the joist on the inside of the stairs to help with carrying the load of the stairs. Bridging usually not needed for spans under 8', but since you're 24" on center it may help, especially if you don't have a center post.

if it were me david, i would use joist hangers on the 12ftrs at each end and support the middle with the beam setup,, you could face anchor them then attach a another face board for looks on the frnt.. the back would be joist hangers with another post stub put in at normal interval to avoid sagging of the back rim joist.

The side against the house isn't anchored to the house correct?

If not, I'd probably double header or add another post in the middle there too. With a load of people on the deck that's a lot of weight to put on a single header.

Thanks for the insights, guys. I'll add additional posts to the center beam and double up the back header. It's not connected to the house.

Larry, you're suggesting joist on beam... intellectually, I know it's a safe construction method, but I just can't get over the idea that the little 14ga hurricane ties are just gonna let the joists flop over. It's more material and more work, but I'm going to joist hanger everything.

SWMBO is wanting to move the stairs... as soon as I firm up the design, I'll post a followup.

in your sketch i had said to set the joist on a beam in the middle not out on the outside edge at the outside edges you can either screw them and add a skirt board or joist hangers inside.. just as darren mentioned but for me to do that i would use full length joists rather than 6ftrs and twice the joist hangers..and i also said to add another stub post next to the house or two even to give more support ..