Gentleman's Dresser-Top Organizer

glenn bradley

Playing with ideas for Christmas; this one is pretty rough but, prototyping helps me nail down the process. With a little TLC and some small felt-dot feet, this one could clean up OK and I can keep it for my own use. I tried a water borne poly in the 3 little "bowls" without applying a shellac sealer first. This left some odd color reactions that are not attractive. I laid a thin coat of shellac in the cove first to get the color I was after, then applied some poly for wear resistance. A simple milled slab of walnut with bloodwood end-pieces. Made with a couple shop made templates and a bowl bit. The front cove is done on the tablesaw. I would vary the material combinations for different folks.

Dresser-top-org (1).jpg . Dresser-top-org (2).jpg .
Dresser-top-org (3).jpg . Dresser-top-org (4).jpg

Last edited:
Darren beat me to the comment, I think it looks pretty good too, but I thought a set of keys to a Triumph would dress it up a bit.
Glenn, nice design, I bet you'll have some pleased recipients come December.

I used to have something similar to that, not walnut, I believe they called it a valet, and looked the same, but it had a small pull out drawer lined with felt to put rings and other jewelry in.

It's obviously a staged photo...I've never seen a wallet that thin, nor have I ever seen just a single car key on a key ring. :whistling:

Nice looking valet, though. :thumb:

Darren beat me to the comment, I think it looks pretty good too, but I thought a set of keys to a Triumph would dress it up a bit.
Glenn, nice design, I bet you'll have some pleased recipients come December.

A Triumph yet. The man knows cars. Amongst my many boy toys, from an era long gone, I had a TR-1 and a TR-2. They were fun cars.

Glenn,

I like your design better than the one I designed for me. That's where my brain was when I borrowed your router bowl bit.

Enjoy,

JimB

This place is merciless. Poor Glenn posts a very nice project, and looks what we all say. Shame on us. ;)

No worries Ken. I know that when I post something I think is great, I may not get a single response, people may love it or I may just get a lot of well-meaning smack-talk ;). Another time I will post something that I pretty much take for granted and I will get 143 responses, all kinds of questions and requests for additional pics, PM's for one-on-one discussions and even phone calls . . . or just more crickets :D. The important thing is that WE POST, WE SHARE, WE COMMENT; that is what makes this the best WWing place on the web, bar none IMHO. It actually makes me nervous when folks get quiet around here :D.

If I left my cash (if I had any:D)on the bureau my wife would snap it up before I woke up. The bloodwood is a nice accent :thumb:

Looks like a Volvo key:)

The joys of bachelorhood. LOML and have been stitched at the hip for 10 years but, she has her house and I've got mine. If we ever cohabitate, it had better be a big house (with a big shop outbuilding 40 paces away). :p

Christmas gift ideas? I thought we still had a lot of time for that....
Nice idea Glenn.
As a side note, if you get into production mode with those can you send me a couple?
It sure would help with my list...:D

Last edited:
Cool idea Glenn, its something i have wanted to build for a long time with the exception that i would like the full valet style with jacket holder pants hanger and tie rack.

Your valet does bring up a point of difference i have noticed about how many Americans carry their cash. You guys use bill holders and carry notes directly in your pocket along with loose change.
I come from a background where i was taught to use a wallet.
What do u do with biz cards, credit cards?
So spare a thought in your valet design for the dudes like me that carry a wallet ....oh and hanky. (yeah call me an English gentleman:) )
lol. Dad used to carry pocket knife too but airline travel killed that idea. :)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Rob, I'm a wallet guy. Cash, cards, receipts and such. The reason seeing the thin wallet in Glenn's photo cracked me up is because my wallet is about 3/4" thick. It's in my front pocket, too. I used to carry my wallet in a back pocket, but after I broke my back I became a lot more sensitive to sitting crooked.

I also carry a pocket knife everywhere except on planes.

No handkerchiefs, though. That's what sleeves and blue jeans are for. :rofl:

Another benefit of prototyping these things . . . I carry a small wallet and its current condition as shown in the pic is what I would call . . . "stuffed". I have never been one to carry a 3 year old receipt around in my wallet along with every business card I happened to have received in the last 6 months, etc. BUT, I notice that most guys carry the library of congress around in their pants and so, the size of this piece and the configuration of the little dish-outs is under re-design :D.

As to carrying cash in the front pocket; I used to travel . . . a lot . . . for work and having cash at the ready for taxi's and tips, versus flashing your entire wallet full of everything you've got, was safer. The job changed but, the habit stuck :). Good call on the pocket knife and / or cell phone space. Thanks.

Last edited: