I'm looking at this older Jointer. Opinions?????

Tom Baugues

Been looking for something to replace my benchtop jointer that burned up a motor recently. This was listed today by an older man whom I spoke with on the phone. He is moving into a retierment center and must get rid of all his tools.

http://tippecanoe.craigslist.org/tls/3269445411.html

I could spend more but I kind of like the old machines too. He says it runs well and he just put new knifes on it this past winter but never used it after that.

I may have figured out how to set this in my garage and not have to put it out in my small shop where I do not have room.

tom go with apprehension,, this jointer is a knock off of a older rockwell which was a good machine but that fence is wrong in the pictures something is way loose or broke there.. so go with caution..

Thanks Larry. Yes, I thought the fence looked odd as well. I may go look at it if it's still there on Sunday but I'm too busy until then. I'm not able to find and reference to this machine online yet.

I dont have a problem spending more cash Larry. Although, I am pretty thrifty and try to save as much as I can ...when I can. :rofl: I just tonight thought that I might be able to clear some space in my garage and set a larger jointer in there. I have learned to be patient when it comes to tool buying. I'll keep my eyes open and the right one will come along when the time is right.

As Larry said, it's a (probably) TaiChi knock-off of the old Delta/Rockwell model. They were good jointers, but that one looks to have had the fence broken and re-welded. You can sorta tell by the burn marks and rust on the back side of it.

That, combined with the fairly heavy rust on the beds would make me take a pass on it. Keep looking - there are better ones out there.

I wouldn't buy that one either. Same reasons as already said: made in Taiwan, lots of rust, and poor fence.
FWIW, I've had a jointer with that kind of locking mechanism, and it did not work as well as the kind which hold the fence in the middle.
Bargains may be had, but you still usually get what you pay for.

Looks very similar to the old Delta I purchased for $50.00 a couple years ago. I bought it because it was, still is, in very good condition. This one does not look cared for at all.
Can you not just replace the motor on yours? Unless you are a high production shop, the HF motors are very good deals. And, motors are often seen at flea markets and yard sales. I have about four extra motors kicking around under my benches.

Can you not just replace the motor on yours?

Frank, I thought about that today and I might try rigging up a motor to see how that might work. If I like it then I would have to build a frame of somekind to hold it all in together.

This jointer company is long out of buisness and getting an exact replacement motor is not going to happen.

Looks very similar to the old Delta I purchased for $50.00 a couple years ago. I bought it because it was, still is, in very good condition. This one does not look cared for at all.
Can you not just replace the motor on yours? Unless you are a high production shop, the HF motors are very good deals. And, motors are often seen at flea markets and yard sales. I have about four extra motors kicking around under my benches.

I replaced the motor on the Cresent Rockwell(1940s) jointer I picked up a few yrs ago... the motor was $150 including new pulley...wasn't a big deal to do either... can't go wrong with older machines, even if ya gotta replace the motor..

I think my jointer quest may be over. Although I still plan to rig up another motor to my jointer, my father has a jointer in his shop that he has told me that I can have. My father has been a woodworker for about as long as I can remember. He has a well equipped shop but he has not been able to get out and use his shop for several years now. He has had both knees replaced (one of them twice) but still has a hard time getting around these days. He offered his jointer to me whenever I need it. It's really hard to see him struggle as he gets older but he knows it is not safe for him to be out in his shop and not be stable on his feet. His home is only about a 15 minute drive from mine so I think I'll just leave the jointer there in his shop and go there to use it. May not be as handy but then I can check on him and mom while there.

tom thats the best deal you can ever get, first off have dad come out and watch you do your stuff and let him offer advice or listen to him when he starts to tell a story .. those times will be the most memorable you will ever have doing woodworking.. and it will be good for both of you:)