Opera browser

Rob Keeble

Any of our techies or members use or have used Opera browser. I am looking for feedback on what its like never used it myself but am in the market for a new TV and see Sony make use of it as a built in browser on one of their TVs.

Also anyone every used a built in skype feature on a flat screen tv before. I see thats another option kicking about.

Thanks for any feedback on these features.

I haven't used Opera for years, and even then it was only briefly. On a TV, though, I don't think it's gonna make a huge difference what browser is being used, since the human interface is different on a TV anyway. Plus, a Web-connected TV is not really a device to do serious web roaming with...it's more geared for browsing Hulu and NetFlix.

My dad recently bought a Sony with "Google TV". I played with it a bit when I set it up for him. I have no idea what browser it was using (I suspect it's some variant of Chrome), but whatever was on there was intuitive enough that it was pretty easy to figure out. You've got an address bar, forward and back buttons, and (I think) a home button. The interface is a remote that looks like a Gameboy controller with a miniature QWERTY keyboard. Not something I'd use to write a book, but more than ample for crawling around YouTube. ;)

Thanks Vaughn for the input just what i was looking for. I am thinking though with the new flat panels having two USB 2 inputs it should be possible to put a blue tooth keyboard on them and have better browsing ability than trying to use the remote control "keyboard".
Whats amazing me is the total lack of info the manufacturers have about their sets. Even trying to get hold of manuals online is a bit of a mission. I am once bitten twice shy right now with techie gadgetry so lots of research before i drop any coin.