Electronic Hearing Protectors.....

Stuart Ablett

I'm looking at getting something like these.....

22r1280s1.jpg

22r1280s3.jpg

Electronic Hearing Protectors

I like to listen to podcasts or tunes in the Dungeon, but I don't want to have them blaring away at night, my wife says that she can hear them as she walks past the Dungeon entrance on the way home. I use the regular earmuff kind of hearing protectors now, they are more than a few years old and are in need of replacement anyways. I think with these electronic kind of earmuffs, I can just wear them all the time, and listen to my music, or podcasts, and as I do that via my iPhone, I will also be able to hear when I get a text message or a phone call. Too often when I'm running a machine and my iPhone rings, I do not notice it, this can make my better half ticked at me, trying to avoid that..... :)

Does anyone have these or a similar product?
Do you like them?
Would you recommend them, or buy them again?
The FM receiver is almost useless for me, our FM band is different here in Japan.

Looking for some advice, thanks

I haven't used those, I have the Howard Leight Impact Sport Muffs I used for shooting and they do a great job. I haven't used them in the shop much, but plan to. The nice thing about them is that they have stereo mic so you forget you're wearing them and can pickup noises in the direction they happen. They also come with a 3.5 to 3.5 patch cable for your iphone or mp3 player. I found that the volume on the headset doesn't control the volume of the phone/mp3 though.

Stu, I have a pair of El Cheapos. I don't reccomend. Not being a music fan, my next ones will be a sporting type that amplify normal conversation but shot out loud sounds. I know I'll have to spend a few $$$ for decent ones.

I have the same ones Darren linked to. Not expensive, and they definitely cut out the sharp noises (I bought mine for the shooting range) while still allowing you to hear normal conversation. I've not tried them with music yet, but I plan to when I get a chance to use them in the shop.

I haven't used those, I have the Howard Leight Impact Sport Muffs I used for shooting and they do a great job. I haven't used them in the shop much, but plan to. The nice thing about them is that they have stereo mic so you forget you're wearing them and can pickup noises in the direction they happen. They also come with a 3.5 to 3.5 patch cable for your iphone or mp3 player. I found that the volume on the headset doesn't control the volume of the phone/mp3 though.

Thanks everyone, great info!

I ordered the ones that Darren linked too, look good to me, and the shipping from Amazon was good.

Cheers!