Cutting box cover on angle?

John Lasher

I just glued up a recipe box for the wife. It is about 8"X10"X8" high. I had planned on cutting the cover after it was glued up so it would be a perfect match. I was going to just cut it on the table saw straight. Now my wife wants the cover opening to be on an angle so the front is lower than the back when she opens it up. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out how to do this. Does anybody have any ideas on how to do it?

[size=+1]If you have a bandsaw with enough resaw capacity, that's how I'd do it. An added advantage of the bandsaw method is that you can make the cuts along the side with a pleasing (whatever that means to you) curve instead of just an angled straight cut.

Otherwise, on the table saw, you set the blade for the angle you want to cut at, and do the front and back, then set the blade back to perpendicular, and set your miter guage to the appropriate angle to cut the sides. You'll have to reverse the miter guage angle for each side - one left; one right.

And of course there's always the Neanderthal way, using a handsaw...[/size]

Jim, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately my band saw doesn't have a riser. The table saw method would work, but I want the front lip to be flat and than have the sides go up on an angle and flat again on top. I was thinking of using a router with a template.

How thick are the sides? For power cutting, you could try one of the Dremel attachments though you'll have to figure out a way to guide the cut straight. I think you can also find fine kerf blades that can work in a drill press or maybe even a router. This might be something that could be done just as easy with a hand saw though.

john, the easiest way is to find a forum member who`s close to you that owns a larger bandsaw;) .....if you`re anywhere near the ozarks i`d be happy to let you use one of mine or cut your box for you.....tod

Solution to box cover cutting on angle

Thought you may want to know how I solved my problem. I spent the afternoon making a template(took three tries to get one that was right) to cut the angle with flats on the front and back for the recipe box using my router and template guide. After cutting one side just flipped over the template and cut the other side. Than cut the front and back on the table saw set at 90 degrees. Wife is happy, I am happy. The world is now right! Thanks for your inputs.
John

Thought you may want to know how I solved my problem. I spent the afternoon making a template(took three tries to get one that was right) to cut the angle with flats on the front and back for the recipe box using my router and template guide. After cutting one side just flipped over the template and cut the other side. Than cut the front and back on the table saw set at 90 degrees. Wife is happy, I am happy. The world is now right! Thanks for your inputs.
John
Pictures! We want to see pictures. :D

Glad to see you got it worked out.