Just checking in...

John Pollman

Howdy folks!
It's been a little while since I've checked in. I pop in now and then and read but haven't posted anything in a while. Things are still pretty tough here and I'm trying to adjust to my circumstances. For a while it looked like I was going to have to get out of the trades and find other work. That's still a possibility but I'm fighting it as best I can.

This past week I had a kitchen/laundry flooring job that I did. About 7 or 8 years ago, I laid oak parquet and it came out very nice and the customer liked it a lot but she was ready for a change. She wanted to go with a ceramic-look laminate but I found a groutable resilient self-stick tile that looked nicer and was a bit cheaper. It was a lot of work but I stripped up the parquet and the old self-stick tile that was there and installed a new luan sub-floor and installed the new floor. It took me about four and a half days from start to finish which for just shy of 200 square feet is a little longer than it should have, but I'm only one person and the customer knows my situation and kept telling me to take my time and don't worry if it took a little longer. I've got a good 35 hours into the job from start to finish. Probably 90% of the job was spent on my knees ripping out or installing. I had a couple pretty bad days but I toughed it out and got through it. Surprisingly, the soreness went away much faster than I thought it would. I've got another job that a client wants me to do that I've been putting off for a while due to my illness. But I talked to him the other day and he said that any time I'm ready, I can get started. (it's great to have understanding clients!)

The kitchen/laundry floor came out beautifully and the customer is very happy. I'm hoping to line up some more work soon and maybe I'll be able to work through some of my issues and keep on working in the trades for a while longer. I saw my neurologist a couple weeks ago and got some new information. I've got an appointment on October 08 for an ALS clinic that he recommended for me. I don't have ALS, but a lot of the symptoms and problems are similar and he thinks that the clinic might be beneficial. I did a little over two months of physical therapy at 3 times a week and it did help. I was able to get some improvement with some of my issues and hopefully with continued exercise, it will continue to improve.

Well I'll sign off for now. I just wanted to say hi. Hopefully soon I'll have some pics of some projects to boast about. ;)

Take care and have a great day!