A challange for me

Guy Bratt

Hello I usually visit the woodturning forum. I have been issued a request by my wife to make her a sewing table/cabinet.
The plan I have consists of a carcas with a faceframe front. The plan was apparently designed to stay with it's back to a wall. It was open in the back.
I want a closed back with out exposed raw plywood edges. This is my first furniture type project. What would be my best plan to join the side and back sheets with out showing a raw edge? Thanks in advance. Guy

Edge banding is not my favorite. I prefer to bury the ends in solid wood. Rear corners might look like this(?).

Capture.jpg

Front corners would bury sides in the face frames.

Capture1.JPG

Many other solutions.

Last edited:
Like Glenn said...or as an alternative, put a face frame and door at both front and back, so it's accessable from either end. If it's going to be out in the middle of the room, she'd want to be able to get into it without having to walk around it.

if you use rabbets on the sides to accept the back you want more than a 1/8" shoulder. in my opinion i use a 3/8" rabbet or 1/2" which leaves me a 3/8" or 1/4" shoulder..the 1/8" is to weak..