TV wall unit a W.I.P.

Once again Bryan i must thank you for posting your pics and process. I learn a ton each time you do it. And this is a project i really would like to have a go at some time soon perhaps a smaller version though for me.

I got a few hrs in the shop this weekend, milling lumber for the top of the drawer unit , drawer fronts, etc. from the best of the Ash lumber. Milled up the door rails and stiles. I still need to select from whats left of the Ash for a couple of raised panels for the lower doors. Doesn't take long to chew threw 100 bd ft of log run stock. Trying to select parts between knots on lower grade lumber really creates a lot of waste.

IMG_0715.JPG

bryan, if you dont mind me asking, what do you pay up there for common grade ash?
around here, ash prices have been rising steadily.
FAS grades are up to almost 4.00 a bf these days at regular yards.

bryan, if you dont mind me asking, what do you pay up there for common grade ash?
around here, ash prices have been rising steadily.
FAS grades are up to almost 4.00 a bf these days at regular yards.
$3.00 to $3.25 3 places I checked online within 70 miles of me. Big Sawmill near me may be less but I would have to call for prices. I bought some local cut stuff from another WWer at $1.50 thats in my wood stash. What I am using now for the wall unit came from the clients bush 5 yrs ago. Looks like he cut up a 9 ft log.

you get the raised panel on the top when feeding the door through? or is that an undercut?

regardless, I bet you love that power feeder. would make me a happy man to have a power feeder running my doors through. oh yeah, thats just gotta be great.

Bryan please excuse what i am gonna ask i have never used or been around a shaper in operation.

Are these the cutters you refering to? http://www.grizzly.com/products/Carbide-Tipped-Panel-Cutter-Convex-5-3-4-Dia-/C3695Z

When they are run on a shaper are they run inverted? Or does it not matter?

I have always been under the impression that the cut for the panel such as using the raised panel bits for a router takes place with the door front facing the table surface.

In your pic i see the panel is good side up telling me the cutter is running opposite to the pic on grizzly site.

This actually makes more sense to me than the idea of the routers raised panel bit with the panel needing to be inverted. Easier to have the waste evacuate the area but i can also see the panel getting jammed between cutter and table.

Could you elaborate please on your method.

Thanks

you get the raised panel on the top when feeding the door through? or is that an undercut?

regardless, I bet you love that power feeder. would make me a happy man to have a power feeder running my doors through. oh yeah, thats just gotta be great.
Yes, the panel is cut with the good side up. I picked up the feeder used at about 35-40% of a new one, had 2 hours use, but drove 3 hours to get it. But one of our kids lived in the same town so we were going there anyway.

Bryan please excuse what i am gonna ask i have never used or been around a shaper in operation.

Are these the cutters you refering to? http://www.grizzly.com/products/Carbide-Tipped-Panel-Cutter-Convex-5-3-4-Dia-/C3695Z

When they are run on a shaper are they run inverted? Or does it not matter?

I have always been under the impression that the cut for the panel such as using the raised panel bits for a router takes place with the door front facing the table surface.

In your pic i see the panel is good side up telling me the cutter is running opposite to the pic on grizzly site.

This actually makes more sense to me than the idea of the routers raised panel bit with the panel needing to be inverted. Easier to have the waste evacuate the area but i can also see the panel getting jammed between cutter and table.

Could you elaborate please on your method.

Thanks
Yes thats the cutters. Very sharp. Will be getting another , way better than my Freud 4 wing. I like to pass the panel under the cutter. When doing a free hand cut, I invert the cutter for safety. And I usually take 3 passes till the edge is at 1/4" thicknest. In one pic you will notice a large Freud brand shaper bearing under the cutter, that I set slightly proud of the fence.

IMG_6028.JPGIMG_6031.JPGIMG_6032.JPG