Miter Saw Crown Jig

S

Steve Clardy

I use a simple home made crown molding jig when I have a lot of repetative cuts to make.

I have 18 window sills that get crown under the sill, so I had a zillion return ends to make.

Back board gives you a place to line up your pencil marks, without eyeballing your mark to the blade every time.
Base board keeps the crown in position for every cut.
I usually cut all my crown upside down.

Last edited:
nice looking jig steve, it does help to always know the crown is in the correct position without having to look and move it around. i also like the fact that the back shows where the blade will cut. very helpful, unless you have a laser :D

thanks for sharin

chris

So with this jig do you just cut a 45 then? I put up crown in the kitchen remodel this weekend and I chickened out, I used them premade corner do dads. Just flat cuts then. Does look kind of cool and the wife likes it! Now if I could get past the awful color she wanted for the walls!!

Corey

Any angle corey. Most of my crown angles are 45 or 22.5
Inside, outside.

Post some pics of your cabinets Corey. Would love to see your handi-work.

Guess I never used the precut corners.

Cabinets are next. Just finished texturing, priming and painting the walls, ceiling, putting up new fan and light and installing crown around the room. Now ready to start the upper cabinets. I will not be building them myself, just not enough time.

corey

It's called Clay Pot Steve. She wanted this orange color and I thought I was being pretty smart and talked her into this more adobe color. Turns out, it is just as orange on the wall as what she was looking at!! Don't know why she wants it.. but she has it! Kinda makes me sick actually, maybe I will lose weight!

Corey

Last edited:
Lol.

Reminds me of the house color the wife wanted.
We HAD decided on gray, with dark gray trim. :)

Then----------------a sudden change.
She came home with some test colors.
Light tan, and a clay pot color like yours, for the trim.

I wasn't at all thrilled.:( :eek:
I told her, well hey. Whatever, as long as it isn't purple. :eek:

She did one back wall on the porch encosure, and a window.

I stepped outside the shop to look after she had came and got me to look.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

That window was bright orange:eek:

This ain't gonna work gal. :mad:

So the house is stucco'ed, but still not painted

Steve,
My first post to this forum, and you have given me the opportunity to ask a question that shows how little I know!

Why should you cut crown molding upside down? I know everybody does it that way, I just don't know why!

Thanks,
Warren

Steve,
My first post to this forum, and you have given me the opportunity to ask a question that shows how little I know!

Why should you cut crown molding upside down? I know everybody does it that way, I just don't know why!

Thanks,
Warren

Sorry Warren for not getting back to your question. Been busy.

This is normal for cutting crown. The angles come out correct this way.

So with this jig do you just cut a 45 then? I put up crown in the kitchen remodel this weekend and I chickened out, I used them premade corner do dads. Just flat cuts then. Does look kind of cool and the wife likes it! Now if I could get past the awful color she wanted for the walls!!

Corey

Upside-down and backwards Corey. For 90* cut at 45*, for 45* cut at 22.5*. It's a lot easier than compound cuts! Just remember the backwards part...DAMHIKT:rolleyes:

Steve,

Thanks,
Warren

Hey Warren. What you are actually doing is cutting the piece as if it were on the ceiling. The bed of your saw is the ceiling and the fence is the wall. Try and visualize working off the ceiling instead of the floor.

I use a simple home made crown molding jig when I have a lot of repetative cuts to make.

I have 18 window sills that get crown under the sill, so I had a zillion return ends to make.

Back board gives you a place to line up your pencil marks, without eyeballing your mark to the blade every time.
Base board keeps the crown in position for every cut.
I usually cut all my crown upside down.

Steve, how do you attach your backboard to the fence? I have made one similar, but with a base board connecting the back board and depth stop.

Pretty easy. I drilled two holes, then used wood screws from behind