Well I'm officially 'in the club'

way to go ned! i like the way you arranged the pic of the shavings, that layered, worm's eye view of shavings going on as far as the eye can see. (btw, you're holding it upside down....:whistling:)

way to go ned! i like the way you arranged the pic of the shavings, that layered, worm's eye view of shavings going on as far as the eye can see. (btw, you're holding it upside down....:whistling:)
which, the whatsit or the funnel?

that was the 'pretty side' of the former bowl... the back side will only see the wall of the shop & vice versa.

my lone artistic attempt for the evening... the shavings shot.

And that right there is why I prefer a tenon instead of a recess for chucking a bowl. ;) Especially on a small piece like that. A piece that size would only need about 1/8" to 3/16" of tenon to hold it securely. (Assuming sharp tools and gentle technique.)

And that right there is why I prefer a tenon instead of a recess for chucking a bowl. ;) Especially on a small piece like that. A piece that size would only need about 1/8" to 3/16" of tenon to hold it securely. (Assuming sharp tools and gentle technique.)
Yeah, I was halfway through carving out the center of what should have been the foot when i went 'oh heck' and had to cut the recess. Bill G's comment kept echoing through my head: compression vs expansion... you can easily split a bowl with expansion, but very hard to over compress with a typical chuck. Especially so with my little tommy bar version.
Still It was a learning experience. I turned something, and that's what it was all about tonight.

Well I've never made a funnel but only through lack of trying... I'm aspiring to join the club someday :D

Pretty nice looking funnel though... maybe try turning a contrasting piece to inset and glue in place then tr-turn it - just for fun...

... maybe try turning a contrasting piece to inset and glue in place then tr-turn it - just for fun...

[Personal opinion warning]

I've done that, and have seen the results of other people doing that, and in every case (including my own) it ended up looking like a cheap amateur patch job. Better to just grab a new piece of wood and start over, IMHO.

Well I've never made a funnel but only through lack of trying... I'm aspiring to join the club someday :D

Pretty nice looking funnel though... maybe try turning a contrasting piece to inset and glue in place then tr-turn it - just for fun...

Ryan I'm going to leave it as is... it wasn't anything special woodwise, or project wise, just a practice piece that went wrong.
[Personal opinion warning]

I've done that, and have seen the results of other people doing that, and in every case (including my own) it ended up looking like a cheap amateur patch job. Better to just grab a new piece of wood and start over, IMHO.

at this stage of the game, I'm not even sure How I would re-mount it to turn the backside yet... so it's going to hang up as a reminder/trophy and be done.

I've got a few of those in my shop. A couple hang on the wall, a couple others reside behind some things or under things...probably in pieces from being thrown by me. :eek: