TS issue: burned edges on ripped boards

Late to the party, but FWIW...

I would not dilute the cleaner. And use a fingernail brush on the soaked blade. Cheap, quick, and easy. Also saves the knuckles from scrapes while cleaning.

Late to the party, but FWIW...

I would not dilute the cleaner. And use a fingernail brush on the soaked blade. Cheap, quick, and easy. Also saves the knuckles from scrapes while cleaning.

Carol,
I diluted it for 2 reasons... one of the google search results I found was a guy who compared fancy schmancy 'blade cleaner' from a woodworking big box store, vs simple green, diluted both to the same ratio... and got much 'better' results with the simple green. I figured what the hey, I might as well try that too... and the second was, by diluting it a bit, I still have most of the bottle left for future needs.
As for the brush, I grabbed the 'old' blue sponge/scrubber from the sink (with Lori's blessing) and broke open a new one for the kitchen.

Not to reopen the discussion but, Simple Green Pro for blades = good, Simple Green for blades = bad. Whatever the voodoo is in plain old Simple Green reacts with the braizing and can result in lost/launched blade teeth. This info can be found in various locations on the web but, read the ones that weren't written by you or me or some other shop guy; read the ones from folks who actually test metals and their reactions to checmicals ;). There is plentry of other cheap stuff out there that will do the job that is not reactive so why use something that you know is?

Response from Simple Green in another forum:

Dear Ben,

Thank you for contacting Simple Green and for your interest in our products.

Simple Green All Purpose Cleaner should not be used to soak saw blades for any period of time. Any application other than spray and wipe is not recommended.

The recommended product for cleaning saw blades is Simple Green Pro HD which has no effect even during long soak times. Simple Green Pro HD can be purchased at Home Depot.

I hope that this information helps. If you have further questions about this or other Simple Green products or uses, please feel free to contact me via reply email or directly. My contact information is provided below and my regular business hours are Mon thru Fri from 8 -5 Pacific Standard Time.

Thank you again for your inquiry.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXXXXX
Technical and Customer Liaison

Let's play careful out there gang :thumb:

Last edited:
Glenn, thanks for the info... too late now, I'll just have to cross my fingers that I didn't damage the blades in the cleaning.

I wouldn't worry about one cleaning. It is repeated exposure or soaking that is advised against. Having had a similar experience to yours in seeing the difference in cut between a clean and a dirty blade, I tend to clean mine more often than I used to. Since I do it more often, I switched to something that was on one of the lists of "safe" stuff. "L.A. Awesome" general cleaner from the 99cent store; works great and is reported to be "safe".

.... Since I do it more often, I switched to something that was on one of the lists of "safe" stuff. "L.A. Awesome" general cleaner from the 99cent store; works great and is reported to be "safe".

Where RU getting it for 99 cents?! Our's has gone up to a dollar! :rofl:

Seriously, it's my favorite blade cleaner. Wish I could keep my wife from taking it to school with her!