another project that's been keeping me busy...

Dan Noren

Staff member
you've all seen the spinny side project for the upcoming craft sale that's been keeping me busy, now there is more. i saw this design a while ago, and something struck me as familiar. while i was watching tv i found out what it was. the original base is the same top i used for the tv stand i made a couple of years ago. then i decided a few special modifications were in order. i added the same type of feet as the tv stand, made the horizontal rails wider, as it looked like there was just enough to hold a bottle in place, and i made those wider, and just a touch more stout. the legs were made taller, so that visually it has a better upward sweep. all in all, i made 3 of them, in walnut and birch. tomorrow i give them a coating of spray shellac. the pic was taken with the phone, can this explain why the camera rings every now and then? the other project that got done today, was a new display for the bottle stoppers. basically a long board, with 7 holes drilled, with 2 smaller bits for feet, all walnut.

Attachments

• counter top wine bottle racks.jpg
    counter top wine bottle racks.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 73
this afternoon i got the opportunity to finish the wine racks. i gave them a good first coat of clear shellac, followed up by a couple more coats of spray shellac. once again, sorry about the quality of the pic, as i was using the phone again.

Attachments

• wine rack finished.jpg
    wine rack finished.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 21
Dan, is there a reason for the third (or first) layer of light colored wood (horizontal bar)? You had the bottles on the top and middle one, does the bottom one not do anything and if so, why is it there? Just wondering.

tis a design feature jon. it's more of a base than anything else, and forms a bit of a visual break line. the wood for the feet under the base is thicker, and narrower in width than the legs. i have used this base and leg combination before, with the tv stand that i made a year or so ago, and i thought it would be nice to use it again. my idea was to have the feet support the base, and to have the base support the legs. the effect of an upward sweep was an unplanned design feature that worked it's way in some how. i like the illusion of the legs sweeping upwards from bottom to top like that.

now that i've looked at the picture again, the feet look like the start of the horizontal cross members, and looks like a third one. yup, i definitely like the combination of delicacy and strength in this one. something else i had not seen until i had actually built the racks. sketchup can do a really good job at 3d, but the reality is more fun.

Attachments

• assembled and ready.JPG
    assembled and ready.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited: