Replacing kitchen countertop

Tom Baugues

Well, I opened my big mouth and now I have a project. It all started when we noticed that our kitchen faucet is dripping again. This faucet was here when we bought the house 12 years ago and it goes through rubber seals like every other year. So I suggested we just replace it and the sink. The countertop is also outdated so this would be the right time to replace it as well. Now when I suggested we do this I had assumed we would hire this work out to a contractor but now I think I'm just going to do it myself. My only concern is one section of the countertop is an "L" shape which means joining the two 45 degree miter cuts together. I will order the countertops to the correct lengths with the sink hole cut and the 45 degree cuts already done. My only concern is getting the joint good and tight for a near seemless look. I know I will still be able to see the seam I'm just concerned about getting it good and flat and straight.
So I just use Titebond glue for this joint? Anyone have tips to help me?

EDIT.....I should have added that I'm using laminate type counter top....cant afford that granite stuff $$$$$$

Last edited:
tom i wouldnt order the hole precut for the sink, i would install the top then cut the hole,, once its cut you own it and everyone can make a mistake in measuring..plus with you doing the work it will make the sink side more stable and less likely to break on installation.

Well, I opened my big mouth and now I have a project. It all started when we noticed that our kitchen faucet is dripping again. This faucet was here when we bought the house 12 years ago and it goes through rubber seals like every other year. So I suggested we just replace it and the sink. The countertop is also outdated so this would be the right time to replace it as well. Now when I suggested we do this I had assumed we would hire this work out to a contractor but now I think I'm just going to do it myself. My only concern is one section of the countertop is an "L" shape which means joining the two 45 degree miter cuts together. I will order the countertops to the correct lengths with the sink hole cut and the 45 degree cuts already done. My only concern is getting the joint good and tight for a near seemless look. I know I will still be able to see the seam I'm just concerned about getting it good and flat and straight.
So I just use Titebond glue for this joint? Anyone have tips to help me?

EDIT.....I should have added that I'm using laminate type counter top....cant afford that granite stuff $$$$$$

Tom,

I looked at the pre-made counter tops for my sister-in-law at both Lowes and Home Depot. Both places have draw bolt type connectors that fit into holes cut my the counter top maker to draw the joint tight. The slot is cut in the bottom of the counter top and is done by the manufacturer. Where are you getting yours?

Jack

Tom,

I looked at the pre-made counter tops for my sister-in-law at both Lowes and Home Depot. Both places have draw bolt type connectors that fit into holes cut my the counter top maker to draw the joint tight. The slot is cut in the bottom of the counter top and is done by the manufacturer. Where are you getting yours?

Jack

Right now we see one from Menards that looks good to us and yes they too have the holes in the bottom of them for the draw tight connectors. I've just never done this . Maybe it will go together just fine. I'm just wondering if there were specific things I needed to look out for when joining the two halves.