Ideas for vertical sliding panels in cabinet?

Dan Forman

Does anyone make rollers like those for drawers, but that go on the top and bottom of a vertical panel? I am designing a tool cabinet based loosely on the one found in the recent Fine Woodworking Tool and Shops issue, http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/store/pages/011225.asp but it will be going into a deep space in the wall, and I want to take advantage of that depth. the space is 9' x 36"high by 33" deep.

P1010638.jpg

So I'm thinking instead of vertical panels that swing out of a shallow cabinet on hinges (FWW's is 13" deep), I would like to have two or three that slide out, around 24 to 26" deep. They will hold various hand tools, back saws, chisels, files/rasps and the like.

If such rollers can't be found, any other ideas for sliding panels? I thought of covering the top and bottom of a panel with UHMW and making grooves for them to slide in, but I don't know how workable that would be.

Dan

Last edited:
Dan, do you mean that the shelf would be say 6" wide, and the depth of your alclove, and the height of your alclove, so the 6" wide bit would be facing towards you, as you stand in front of the alclove, and then the sliding shelf would come out towards you? :huh:

Like the flip doors on an entertaiment center, but without the flip part?

How about them garbage can under the counter slider things??

37174-lg.jpg

These are top mount, and rated to 175 pounds, but at $89 a set........:dunno:

How about some of the under the drawer slides....?

24626-01-500.jpg

Says they are rated for 100 pounds...

56907-01-500.jpg

This kind of thing, but maybe with a flat panel in the middle to hang stuff on, instead of shelves?

Something like that?

PS I deleted your double posted thread.

Cheers!

Dan, I've got a vertical pegboard panel in a cabinet that slides out. Off the top of my head, I'd say it's about 2' deep and 4' tall. The previous owner of our house built it into one of the melamine/particle board garage cabinets. I believe he just used some drawer slides turned 90 degrees from the way they were designed. I'll take pics of it tomorrow (too late for Bonzo tonight). :zzz:

drawer guides work on the flat just fine only drawback is that their weight capacity is reduced by about 1/2? depending on mfgr. knapp-n-vought have some guides that are intended to lay flat for large pullouts but like all good stuff they`re pricy....tod

Bottm mount drawer slides that are full ext. would work the best. I seen In the Rockler catalog that they had slides that where a couple of feet long.

Thanks so much for all of the suggestions.

I think the last example in Stu's post will be the way to go, that way I can use the same Gliderite's which will be used for the rest of the project. It will allow a bit of space on either side for tools, and give me full strength suupport of the panel.

http://www.gliderite.com/bearing.htm These have been getting some good press over at WoodNet, and can't beat the price!

Dan