Home Schooling Question

Ned Bulken

My wife and I have a problem with the local grade school, and are looking into home schooling for our youngest son. Anyone have a program that you have used for your children that you found effective? Any tips/advice/etc... would be greatly appreciated.

Ned, our daughter homeschools four of her five daughters (the other one is only a few days old). She's used several different systems with great success. If you'd like, I can set you up with her e-mail and I'm certain she'd be more than happy to give you some advice on various programs. Right now she's using programs that are more religious in nature. I know that one of the programs she's used with success is "Sunlight". She also had her oldest daughter enrolled in the Moore Academy for curriculum at one time. Her oldest daughter had severe learning disabilities, and the next one was reading by the time she was 3. She's six now and is reading at an 8th grade level. Her four year old is just starting to read and her two year old is making like progress.

PM me, I'll check with her, and we can make a connection.

Sandy

My sister-in-law has home schooled two kids and the old just graduated and the second one (the dog sledder ;) ) will finish up this year and start college this fall I expect. She started because the Son has a bad case of ADD and latter on found out he was dyslexic. He failed the first grade and didn't/couldn't get the personal attention he needed.

She used a Christian based program and I must say I am impressed with how the kids turned out. They are NOTHING like 90% of the teenagers I meet. I can't tell you name but like Sandy, I can get your her email. She spent some time on some Home School forums learned a lot. I am sure you can find those too.

Jeff

Ned, I just spoke with our daughter about you and she welcomes your contact. She did mention though, that NY is one of the worst states to try to homeschool - due to the state laws regarding school attendance.

Sandy

Ned, how old is your son? What grade level?

My wife is homeschooling our four, but the oldest is just 10, and they've never been in a school system. She uses a variety of stuff, depending on the child and depending on the subject.

People who take their kids out of a school, usually like to buy a pre-packaged curriculum, since their kids are used to that sort of discipline and structure.

We've been very happy with "Math-U-See" for the math part of our schooling.

Regarding Sandy's comment. If you do go homeschooling, you may want to look into joining, or at least learning about, the Home School Legal Defense Association. We're members of the Canadian version of that. People sometimes get "harassed" by their local school system when they pull out their kids, and sometimes misinformation is spread. This group is there to make sure you have all the correct legal information at your hands, and they can help advocate for you if necessary.

best wishes,
...art