Help flattening chisel with bevel on back

Jim Moore

I'm working on sharpening a chisel recently bought a flea market to be used as a paring chisel. While flattening the back, I discovered the back edge of the chisel had a bevel about 1/16" wide.

This would mean that I'd have to raise the chisel to get any cutting action, which seems to violate the use for paring/shaving.

I've attached some pictures below and would appreciate advice and counsel on how to proceed.

Full chisel view (back side)
full_chisel.jpg

Front of chisel
chisel_front.jpg

Back of chisel
back_chisel.jpg

Thanks,

Jim

I'm with Roger, but, from the picture, it looks like the front bevel is too steep to be useful opening paint cans.

I doubt if it is as bad as you think. A belt sander can be used to do the rough shaping before you move to a better flatter sharpening device - just be careful not to overheat the edge until it loses temper (a glass of water at hand while you are working can keep it cool). After the back is flat, the front bevel can be rough cut with a simple jig, or a grinder with the guide set for the desired angle.

I cannot read the brand stamped on the chisel, but the fact that they were proud of the brand probably means the chisel wasn't an 1890 WalMart special.

I'd grind the edge back to get rid of the bevel, then put a new bevel on the front (only :D ). Since you want to use it as a paring chisel, I'd make the new bevel pretty shallow - like maybe 15° ~ 20°.

Thanks for the input folks. I'll go forward with flattening the back and changing the bevel on the front with a beltsander and then hone/polish on waterstones.

Not sure I'd use this chisel to open paint cans as I already have a 3lb sledge for that. :)

Jim