It made it itself...

Jim DeLaney

Staff member
I like it when you can use a tool to make something that's used for the tool itself. :D

Here's a handy protective case/box for an iBox jig, that was made using the iBox itself to cut the finger-joints: iBox 1.JPG

The box is made from 7/16" thick poplar, and the lid is 7/8" poplar. The lid was dyed/stained/colorized using ferric acetate (AKA vinegar & Steel wool solution). First time I'd ever tried it on Poplar. It makes a nice warm brown. Finish is several coats of Target EM6000.

Inside, the iBox is fitted and cushioned to keep it from sliding around, and the plexiglas guard slides into its own compartment along the side.

iBox 2.JPG iBox 3.JPG iBox 4.JPG

Now I need to build a box/case for the4 Incra Hingemaker.:)

Nice looking box Jim. I may have to try that stain out, did you have to leave the steel wool in the vinegar for a while or is the change pretty instant?

It's about the color I need for the vanity project in our bath and with the sky light in that room would probably help with preventing fading from what I've read on it so far.

Nice looking box Jim. I may have to try that stain out, did you have to leave the steel wool in the vinegar for a while or is the change pretty instant?...

It's the same vinegar and steel wool solution that's used to ebonize (blacken) oak, cherry, etc. I put a pad of #00 steel wool in a pint jar, then filled the jar up with white vinegar and let it sit for several days (I've let it soak for up to a week, before) and then strained the solution thru a coffee filter. I put it on with a foam brush, making sure to get the wood uniformly wet. When it dries, that's the color you get with Poplar. Other woods turn various colors - mostly black or shades of gray.

that stain job could pass for cherry jim:) and nice use of all the parts and pieces:)

It does resemble cherry. Time will tell if it changes, or is colorfast. First time I've ever tried it on Poplar.

very nice Jim, I'm thinking I would like to have one of those jigs :thumb:

The jig itself is a bit pricey, Charles, but it works fantastically well. Once you follow the setup instructions, joints of almost any size can be made, and they fit perfectly. I've made 1/4" finger joints that were two feet long with it, and they fit perfectly. I've never been able to do that with any homemade jig, and believe me, I've made a bunch of them. If you search the archives her, Brent, Stu, and several others posted a lot about it when it first came out.

wow jim, I was looking at that box jig just last week, Im thinking of getting one, and tossing my home made jigs.
ofcourse, my birthday is in march, and since you already have that beautiful presentation/gift box, well, but seriously, Ill contact you before I make a purchasse with a few questions.

Great job! I wonder why companies stopped packing their tools in such wooden boxes, they give such a much better appearance to a tool or machine.
Of course I know it is due to price but, they do it with champagne and wine bottles which are less pricey that tools like that one, so why not?

I like the use of a different wood for the lid.

I made a bunch of shop drawers with some Home Depot Potato Chips, Er, I mean, plywood and it did a pretty good job.

Very little tear out using the freud box joint blade set.

I made up a bunch of extra backer boards while I was at it so I should be good to go for a while.