This may be . . .

Sandy Navas

. . . one of those stories that winds up being "well, you should have been there."

One night last week I went with our daughter to pick up some diapers for the new baby. We each had a shopping cart and I had two children, she had one. The baby and her oldest daughter remained in the car waiting for us.

As we went through the baby aisles, her two year old (who is crazy about rubber duckies) spotted a large rubber duck outfitted as a fireman. It was quite large, made to slip over a bathtub faucet to protect someone from banging into it. At almost $20 for a piece of plastic, I opted to find one smaller with the fireman outfit and she was quite pleased that I'd buy it for her.

During the remainder of our shopping tour she managed to take the cardboard wrapper off the duck even though I had told her she couldn't play with it until I had paid for it. As we approached the check-out counter, the six year old spotted some gum and asked if I'd buy her some. The two year old decided then that she wanted some gum, too. I explained that she had the rubber duck and didn't need any gum. Well, that caused a storm.

At the top of her lungs she told the whole store: "Don't pay for it." "Don't pay for it." "Nana, I don't want that STUPID DUCK!!!" "If you buy me that STUPID DUCK, I'm going to throw it in the trashcan!!!"

My daughter, at another check-out, told the cashier: "What's wrong with people now days that they can't control their children?"

We've laughed over this so many times and I still crack up :rofl: when I remember it.

Hope you all get a kick out of children's antics.

Been there a few times. Glad that is in the past.

Yes and no, Jim... I'm always pleased to see my kids grow and mature, gaining new skills and abilities, and so on. (my oldest is now ten)

But just last week my youngest (3) was feeling a bit sick and so I had him snuggled on my lap as I was browsing the wwing forums. And I realized... someday I'm gonna miss this.

That's cute.
When my brother's oldest girl was about 4 or 5, her mom took her to "Big" church for the first time. Kelly was good for a few minutes, then starts making noise and being the typical kid. Beckey told her to be quiet, this was Jesus' church. That worked for a few minutes, then
Kelly starts in again. Becky shushed her and reminded her that this was Jesus' church and she needed to be quiet. Again this lasted for a few minutes, and there she goes again. Becky repeats her warning and Kelly stood up on the pew, looked around the church a couple times, then said, in a volume that only a child could use, "I don't see Jesus....Did he have to go to the bathroom?" Brought the whole church down! Jim.

Jim, you reminded me of our daughter when she was about 18 months old. We attended a Catholic wedding and when the priest came out downed in all his gold and satin robes, she stood up and asked, "Hey, Mom, is that GOD?"

Another bring down the attendees in laughter.