Portable ts

Al killian

I am looking for a portable ts. Prefer one that has a base built in. I just picked up a job as a sub for some case work in NM and really need to to get one. Was looking at the Bosch any other ones to look at? What are you using?

The Bosch is really highly regarded. The Ridgid and DeWalt have plenty of fans too. The Ridgid tends to be less expensive, has a 3 year warranty, plus offers the Lifetime Service Agreement if you register for it. Don't know if HD would accept a 20% coupon on one, but it couldn't hurt to try.

Al,

I have a Dewalt like Chuck's. It is a job-site saw and I suspect does that job pretty well. However, some of the features that make it a good job-site saw (size and weight) do limit its capabilities. It has a fairly small table and short fence to match. You will need a lot of in/out feed support or extra help to cut sheet goods. It does OK on smaller pieces. There is not a lot of space in front of the blade, so it is limited in the width of stock you can crosscut using the miter gauge. I made a sled which helps with that problem.

The best thing I did for it was pitch the stock Dewalt blade and put on a Forrest WWII. It is not over powered, depending on what you are working on, maybe consider a thin kerf blade.

I have problems keeping the blade squared up in the vertical and the fence aligned. I have to move it back and forth about 8' from its storage spot to where I can use it, that may contribute to the alignment issue. The base is mostly plastic which I suspect also contributes to that problem. It does have a fold-up stand.

It does OK, but I'd swap it in a heart beat for a cabinet saw if I had room for one.

Hope this helps,

Tom

I too had the DeWalt 744 for a fairly long time, I very much liked it, at the time there was nothing else on the market that was close to it, I paid a LOT of money for it shipped from the USA, but it was worth it at the time. With the mobile base I think it would make a great jobsite saw. That being said, I'd look very hard at the Bosch jobsite saw, it was not on the market when I bought my DeWalt, but I have heard many great reviews of it.
Cheers!