Turning a winged box video... Gwinett Woodworkers

Thanks for sharing that Ned.

I learned a bunch of things. Loved the guys accent and calm way of presenting.
One thing i felt missing was make sure to use sharp tools, and i would have liked to see more detail of the tool points themselves.

But excellent video. Kept thinking this would be a great addition to Bernies birdsnests especially if he put one of his acorn tops on as a lid and made the bowl follow through as the rest of the acorn. :)

Also realised i need way more practice and should buy some instructional videos.

Anyone know what lathe that was? Looked like a one way but not sure. Sure was nice and smooth.

Watched video while having breakfast via my phone on you tube. Makes for a great start to the day.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

I have made one of those winged boxes and destroyed a couple in the process too. Things can get pretty interesting when you have a long piece of wood and it starts to flex causing a chatter.

I'm becoming a youtube turning video junkie... amazingly it has nearly 'cured' me of the 'hey, look at this...' phenomenon. I watch one or two then I go make sawdust, or whatever else...

oh, and that lathe sure looked like Mayo (oneway) to me.

I've got a belt changing delta... which has me jonesing for at least a variable speed midi to upgrade from it... of course I'm not buying much of ANYthing right now, let alone $500 to $2000 worth of tool that is barely the tip of the iceberg...

Last edited:
Looks like a good video, Ned. (I just glanced at it, but Mike Peace has a good reputation for his work.)

...Also realised i need way more practice and should buy some instructional videos.

Anyone know what lathe that was? Looked like a one way but not sure.

IMHO, practice will get you a lot farther down the road than watching videos. I've bought a couple of videos and watched some or all of maybe a couple dozen short ones on YouTube, but for me at least, actually making something is more beneficial to my education than watching someone else make something. Sure, a video is a handy way to get started on a particular technique, but going out to the shop and turning something every night was the key for me...not watching videos.

That lathe is a Jet 3520B. It's sold in the UK (and perhaps elsewhere in Europe) and aside from the color, it's identical to the Powermatic 3520B. ;)

IMHO, practice will get you a lot farther down the road than watching videos. I've bought a couple of videos and watched some or all of maybe a couple dozen short ones on YouTube, but for me at least, actually making something is more beneficial to my education than watching someone else make something. Sure, a video is a handy way to get started on a particular technique, but going out to the shop and turning something every night was the key for me...not watching videos.

Oh I've been practicing... and you're right there is no substitute for that muscle memory learning... still, I'm a visual guy, and until I can swing another lesson somewhere, I have to see technique before I can try technique, if that makes any sense?

Oh I've been practicing... and you're right there is no substitute for that muscle memory learning... still, I'm a visual guy, and until I can swing another lesson somewhere, I have to see technique before I can try technique, if that makes any sense?

Yeah, it makes sense. I understand about needing to see the technique before doing the technique. You're doing the right thing by putting in the practice time to go with the watching time. :thumb: