How to store all these magazines?

Tom Baugues

I've been helping my Dad clear out his shop. He has every issue of WOOD magazine since 1984. I would like to have them but...thats a lot of magazines. They have to be removed from his shop and I hate to throw them out. In fact I want them all. It would be great to have all the plans that are in them however....space is the issue. Now I know I can buy a CD with all the back issues on it but it's just not the same as having it right in your hands. The magazines have been stored in sealed plastic totes so I know that they are all in good condition.
My question is...do you all keep your magazines? How do you store them? Do you really ever go back to them for a plan or two?

Tom i think Brent had a great idea a while back and got a scanner that could scan and store the mags digitally because of exactly that the space they take up.

In my case its part of what stopped me from subscribing plus a few other things about them. I have two totes with my collection in and called a halt at that. There is so much on the web and on our forum i dont find i go back very often to look at them but like you cannot bare to think of throwing them out.

My suggestion would be spend a little time and try going through and culling as many as possible that way you may get the load down to a more manageable acceptable level. Easier said than done.

I've been helping my Dad clear out his shop. He has every issue of WOOD magazine since 1984. I would like to have them but...thats a lot of magazines. They have to be removed from his shop and I hate to throw them out. In fact I want them all. It would be great to have all the plans that are in them however....space is the issue. Now I know I can buy a CD with all the back issues on it but it's just not the same as having it right in your hands. The magazines have been stored in sealed plastic totes so I know that they are all in good condition.
My question is...do you all keep your magazines? How do you store them?
Do you really ever go back to them for a plan or two?

I hardly ever referred back to them!

At one time I had WOOD mag. from issue 1 - 169?. They were just taking up too much shelf space. I gave them to a good friend of mine who was more than happy to take them.

My proviso to him was if I ever need a plan from the mag. he would search for it and send me a copy.

At one time during the start-up of the internet, I could have and should have sold the entire collection for $1,000.00. I couldn't bear to part with them at the time!

I know what you mean Tom. I hate to part with them but they take up way too much space. I do refer back to them quite often though.

What I was thinking about doing was to tear out any plans and tips that I liked and putting them in my file cabinet each under a proper file heading (chests, tables etc.....)

Maybe a project for a cold snowy day. Or maybe I can add this idea to the procrastination thread recently :rofl:

I know what you mean Tom. I hate to part with them but they take up way too much space. I do refer back to them quite often though.

What I was thinking about doing was to tear out any plans and tips that I liked and putting them in my file cabinet each under a proper file heading (chests, tables etc.....)

Maybe a project for a cold snowy day. Or maybe I can add this idea to the procrastination thread recently :rofl:

I have actually started doing that about two years ago. I have a small filing cabinet and folders I cut the projects out and insert them into the folder. Properly labeled and I have a decent percentage of success finding what I am looking for. Now that we have a copier/printer, I can even keep two separate projects by coping one page instead of losing one if they started and stopped one on the same page. Even though I don't normally build to a set of plans, it does help brainstorming when looking to start a project specifically for the toys right now. No use reinventing the wheel so to speak. I do get rid of my magazine stack quicker and more efficiently now. Read in the house, take to the shop, tear apart, file the projects kept, burn the remainder in the outside wood stove.

I have all the Fine WoodWorking mags, most of the wood, lots and lots of others....a whole wall full over the garage. Every time i go through them to toss they just keep calling. I can't bring myself to let them go just yet. Mine are in slip cases on shelves.

I think a file cabinet is the answer. Like a four drawer one. Doesn't take up a lot of room and you could put a lot of magazines in one and keep them in order. The hard part is knowing what one you saw something in that you now want. I spent a great deal of time once building a file on my computer, with contents of each mag. that I could do searches on. That is a big task and I finally gave up. So you file them in a cabinet and buy the CD with all the back issues. Use the CD. to find the project then pull out the the mag. to go work the project with. Coarse you could just print the project article from the CD......

paul, they make a search engine that you can use in the various magazine home pages to look for the various plans, its not great but does work..helps to find the plan you saw a year or two ago easier..