What's up with the Spindle sander shape

Tom Baugues

I just bought this "Performax" oscillating spindle sander from a guy on Craigslist. It's in like new condition with all the spindles and inserts.
It runs well and seems to do a good job however I have to ask........why are they shaped like this. I've looked at many different brands and the tabletop is shaped like this on many of them. I tried to sand the corners of my cutting boards and found the front of the table almost useless because it is so small. I feel like I need to turn the unit around to use the back of the table to lay the wood flat, but that puts the on/off switch in the back. So What's up with this design. What am I missing?????
100_0977 (Small).JPG

I have the HF version, it's shaped just like yours, I do use the back of the table for more support.
Don't know why designers design they way they do. :huh:

Could build a little table that fits around it. Make a cutout the shape of the table on the sander fix it so when you need, you slip it in place and clamp it down on the work bench. When you don't need it take it away and hang it on the wall or something. If you like to make jigs, like I do...

Well I was hoping one of you guys was going to tell me that I was doing something all wrong. I suppose its maybe because the machine is designed to sand the "inside" of a shape and not the outside?????? :dunno:

Could build a little table that fits around it. Make a cutout the shape of the table on the sander fix it so when you need, you slip it in place and clamp it down on the work bench. When you don't need it take it away and hang it on the wall or something. If you like to make jigs, like I do...

Was thinking the same. Seen several folks do that with the Workshop 2000 to make it more usable.

Well I was hoping one of you guys was going to tell me that I was doing something all wrong. I suppose its maybe because the machine is designed to sand the "inside" of a shape and not the outside?????? :dunno:

Yup...toilet seats. ;) :D

I have a Grizzly combination OSS/disc sander. It's got a square table and tilts.....but

Strictly a guess but if you wanted to sand something at an angle and the table doesn't tilt, having it shaped as the Performax is would allow you to rest the material on the edge of the short sided table and give you leverage to sand at an angle and maintain the mechanical advantage.