Opinions On Belt/Disk Sander Combo

Paul Douglass

I currently have a little Craftsman belt/disk sander I've been using for 30+ years. I find I use it more and more as I progress in woodworking. I'd really like a better and bigger. Been looking at this Grizzly one and would like to know if anyone has one or has comments on it. For that matter any recommendation regarding belt/disk sanders. There a couple things I apprehensive about this one.

I am not fond of the way the table is put on. My Craftsman has this kind of set up, of coarse not a beefy, but it works loose, hard to level and a pain to move back and forth between belt and disk. Second, I don't like the fact this Grizzly has one size dust port for the disk and another size for the belt, that just seems, well, stupid to me.

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2012/Main/158

I'd appreciate your input.

That looks like a dandy. I would go fer it even with the two dust ports.
My belt sander is a fifty-cent garage sale special and doesn't have a disk. Needs replacing but budget won't allow now.

I have a 4 x 36 inch belt sander + small disc sander. Forgot the brand. Came from Home Depot. Approximately $100.

It did not take me long to remove the disk sander and purchase a 12" Harbor Freight disk sander. Each of these machines work well as stand alone units.
The HF unit was $112 (list price) and was purchases with a 20% off coupon---It is a great machine. The price was just icing on the cake. I cannot see that the Delta 12 inch disk sander has anything on the HF. The Delta is over $300. I'll go take a picture or two right now 4:35 pm.

Enjoy,

JimB

Attachments

• IMG_1194.jpg
    IMG_1194.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I'll chime in that the effective sanding area increase from a 6" to a 9" disc seems a small increase for the cost. Unless your belt area has been a problem, I would lose the 6" disc and get a 12" like dear old dad did; for a little over $100, you're done. If the belt is the area you want to increase, use my patented formula for talking myself into anything; it goes something like this . . .

Current sander has been in use for 30+ years.
I'm ready to spend $395 for a nominal upgrade to a G1014Z.
For $330 more I can get a much better upgrade to a G1276,
That's only $11 per year more based on the time I've used my current sander and I get a 1725 RPM 12" disc along with the larger belt area.

Sold!!!

Am I pathetic, or what?

I'll chime in that the effective sanding area increase from a 6" to a 9" disc seems a small increase for the cost. Unless your belt area has been a problem, I would lose the 6" disc and get a 12" like dear old dad did; for a little over $100, you're done. If the belt is the area you want to increase, use my patented formula for talking myself into anything; it goes something like this . . .

Current sander has been in use for 30+ years.
I'm ready to spend $395 for a nominal upgrade to a G1014Z.
For $330 more I can get a much better upgrade to a G1276,
That's only $11 per year more based on the time I've used my current sander and I get a 1725 RPM 12" disc along with the larger belt area.

Sold!!!

Am I pathetic, or what?

Ha, that is good figuring at your age, but I don't have 30 years left. I didn't consider the HF one because a friend of mine purchased one of their BS's and gave it away after having it for a few weeks. It was junk. So I figured all of their sanders probably were.

But yes, size is a problem. The 6" disk is pretty useless, and most often I wish I had a bigger belt. Plus on my little Craftsman, it is darn near impossible to set it and keep it accurate, and square. I figured, perhaps wrongly, that a bigger better on would be better.

The table mounting on the little guys and the G1014Z are just problematic by design, I think. Before I upgraded, I built a wooden platform under the table positions I used most to keep them supported. This looked a little odd but, did the job quite well. You can see from dad's pics that he just built a platform with dust collection for the belt and abandoned the stock table altogether. This becomes not-so-very-good if you do a lot of different angles however.

I didn't consider the HF one because a friend of mine purchased one of their BS's and gave it away after having it for a few weeks. It was junk. So I figured all of their sanders probably were.

Its darn near impossible to set it and keep it accurate, and square. I figured, perhaps wrongly, that a bigger better on would be better.

HF has some real bargains and good equipment (i.e. disk sanders). HF has some real junk (i.e. band saws, lathes). My log-splitter is way better than any I have seen for twice the price (of course it is no longer available). I have an 18 volt drill. It has to be 10 years old, looks like new, runs like new, is on the original battery Would I trade it for my Ridgid? Heck no. Do I use it? Heck yes. It is not fancy, however like the little pink bunny, it goes and goes. If it were to break, they would give me a new one to replace it. I am also impressed with HF casters; they are a great value. Some of their drill bits are junk, some are straight and the size they are marked. I will leave this subject now.

Enjoy,

JimB

I know they have some hidden jewels in there. One of their wood lathes, can't remember the model number, is considered a good starter lathe and is what I started out with. It was good, I used it for several years.

Another option, but only if you like this sort of thing, is to make your own disk sander. Mine is a 12" disk mounted to a 1/2 hp motor. I had the motor and built the rest (including an adjustable table with a miter gage slot) on a lazy saturday in the shop. I had the motor and made the disk with a piece of good plywood using an old pulley for the flange. All in, i think it cost about $25 - that included a piece of aluminum sheet for the dust shroud and the purchase of a dust collection port. It's mostly made from scraps.
It gets the job done as well as something from the store, is easily adjustable, rock solid, and gets lots of use. I even added a brake to stop it from spinning.
My dad made one as well with an old washing machine motor. His dust shroud and motor cover are "repurposed" aluminum from an old sign.
A disk sander is probably the most basic machine in a wood shop.

Well, I bought the HF 12". I can already see I will have to build a table for it if I want to accurately, consistently sand a 90' angle. Sorry but the table that comes with it is the weak piece, IMHO, but I will work with it. I also have to get some finer grit sand paper. What comes with it is, well shall I say aggressive! But, I will work it all out given a little time.

I purchased my 1014Z back when I think I only paid $200 for it brand new. It has an extra table that came off of a G1495 Wood lathe. So I have a table for both the disk & belt part with no change over. I clamped a wood table on top of the metal table to raise it above the disc shroud. It has been a good performer . Would I give $395 for it NO ...IT IS OVER PRICED.

Attachments

• A1 myshop 110.jpg
    A1 myshop 110.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 11