End Grain Cutting Board

Dan Mooney

Found a piece of I think it's maple (the lighter colored wood, If it's not maple please let me know what you think it is, I'd like to find some more) in the scrap bin at my local wood shop and when I cut it to make the cutting board I found this amazing grain pattern. I matched it with some walnut.

The first pic is sanded to 220 and the second pic has mineral oil applied.
DSC00447.jpg
DSC00450.jpg

Dan, how many coats of minerial oil do you apply and how long does it take for the oil to dry to be a usuable cutting board.

I really like this board of yours. That grain is really nice.

Dan, how many coats of minerial oil do you apply and how long does it take for the oil to dry to be a usuable cutting board.

I haven't done too many cutting boards, but usually I spread it heavily and leave it alone till it soaks in then another 2 or 3 times till it doesn't seem to take anymore then rub/buff it with a soft cloth.

Nice-looking board, Dan, :thumb:

I haven't done too many cutting boards, but usually I spread it heavily and leave it alone till it soaks in then another 2 or 3 times till it doesn't seem to take anymore then rub/buff it with a soft cloth.

I do much the same. I leave it coated heavily (replenishing as needed) for about 24 hours, then I wipe it "dry" with paper towels. Tom, the oil never dries. It soaks into the wood (especially end grain) to protect it from moisture and bacteria, but needs to be replenished every once in a while. (Whenever the surface starts looking dried out.)

That's pretty sweet looking Dan! As for the type of wood next time take a pic of the face before you cut it up. That will make it a little easier to identify.

When I first make a board, I oil it until it won't accept any more.... coat after coat waiting about 20 minutes between them, and then leave to dry overnight.

the classic frequency that I tell my 'customers' is once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month thereafter... straight mineral oil.

Nice-looking board, Dan, :thumb:

Nice looking board!

I do much the same. I leave it coated heavily (replenishing as needed) for about 24 hours, then I wipe it "dry" with paper towels. Tom, the oil never dries. It soaks into the wood (especially end grain) to protect it from moisture and bacteria, but needs to be replenished every once in a while. (Whenever the surface starts looking dried out.)

Yep. I made a bunch of end grain cutting boards for my 3 daughters, LOML and mom some years back. All still in use and going strong. I put on as much as it will drink initially and told the girls when it starts looking dry apply more. Since the oil never dries and is food safe, it can be used almost immediately... as long as you have waited long ehough for the glue to fully cure. A few days should suffice.