Building Inspector????

Al killian

Well some of you know that I bought a fixer upper from my soon to be wife's grand parents. I did follow all regulation and pulled the needed permits before starting work on it. Now that I am getting close on some inspections I am having trouble getting hold of the inspector. Now when I call his office they say he does not start his shift till after 8 pm:huh:. I have never heard of a inspector working night shifts like this. Also I have been trying for two weeks to get hold of him. Anyone have ideas of who in the town or county I should try to get hold of for this? Now all the structural stuff is fixed and ready to move on to the electrical and insulation. I dont get alot of time at home as I have been doing commercial case work for a company and only get home every two to three weeks for a few days.

in michigan in my area they have subbed that stuff out to a company called PSI AL, and they are in there own building,, but the county clerk should be able to get you in the right direction as they are the ones that get the money in my area then you go next door to make a appt...

Where i live( out in the boondocks) of TN. All i need is elec, and septic. Now where i work most of the time(jackson) you need a permit to build a chicken coop. Jackson has a building department,so you just call there office and they will send someone out with in the hr.The problem with our inspectors in the city is they coun't make it as a contractor, but think there smarter than us that have been doing it all our lives. Can you say book learning, and no common since.:)

We have a general rule (not a rule by any town standards just our rule) The inspector has 3 days to do his job after a message has been left with his office and than he's out of luck cause progress must go on.:thumb::thumb::thumb: This mostly applied to the one in the next town over he would only show up for the CO inspection. If he was going to come at all. Ok make that the next two towns over they both had guys that just plan had no interest in doing the job.:thumb:

We always scheduled the inspections online. If for some reason the site was down we would call it in and all you did was listen to the selections and press the appropriate key on the phone. They even give a confirmation number.

Well I called and found who was supposed to do it and told him if he was not there the next day I was going to move on. Well know im done with inspections as down here only exterior need inspection. Thanks all for the advice.

You have to do what you have to do.
I hate bureacracy. Where I live only the septic has to be inspected and approved.
In your case, I would head right over to city hall or county seat and raise the roof. As a citizen you have rights. And a voice.