How does an impact driver differ from a hammer drill? -see this video

Frank Pellow

Paul Marcel demonstrates the difference really well within this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Y7-sBONk_QIon his blog.

Before I saw this video, I thought that I knew the difference, but I found that I did not. :eek: Now, I do know the difference. :)

The video is about the new Festool Ti-15 drill-impact driver combo and does a good job of doing so, but you can skip most of that and see the drill/hammer-drill/impact-driver explantion by skipping to 3:45 on the video.

Last edited:
I think I had a good idea of what it was prior, but cleared it up for sure. I did not know they were making impact specific bits/extensions, good to know why now.

I have switched quiet a while back to the impact bits.

But a word of caution...the same point applies to the quality of fastner you use.
Since way back i discovered when using my tough 15.5v Panasonic drill to drive screws especially in construction type of build typical of say deck work, i found that the constant twist of my wrist etc when driving a fastener brought out the latent arthristis in my wrist. Boy it ached after a time using my drill.
Then i purchased my dewalt 18v impact and boy what a difference.
Trouble is i took to impacting home all sorts and woodworking screws dont neccessary stand up to it.
I think in our hobby land there is very much a place for both drilling a pilot hole and then using a smaller lighter less forceful impact to do the driving home of the screw or fastener without the breaking of the fastener but still saving the wrist and avoiding splitting of the wood.
This is where i think the bosch 12v or milwaukee 12 range are well positjoned and sized accordingly for woodworking of say the hobby furniture cabinet category.
But if it gets to 2X material i haul out the dewalt 18v.:)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Good info indeed, Frank. I'm a big fan of both my 12v Milwaukee and 14v Hitachi impact drivers. Haven't had a lot of need for my 120v Bosch hammer drill, but when I need holes in concrete, it's just the ticket.