Question about Cherry

Billy Burt

I've turned and worked a fair amount of Cherry. I was going through my stash of spindle stock to make a tool handle for a turning tool I got from Cap'n Eddie and found what appeared to be Cherry. Everything about the grain structure told me it was Cherry. However, when I started turning it, I began to question that. The shavings have a strangely odd green tint to them, as does the finished handle. Additionally, it seemed to be softer than other Cherry I've worked with. It is still hard, but seems to be less dense than what I expected. Has anyone had a similar experience?
640tool_handle.jpg640tool_handle2.jpg

hey billy, I love your pen work from your site.
everyone keeps telling me all pens should be turned even and straight.
you add some pizazz, and I think they are striking, unique, just all around great looking stuff.

Kind of looks like poplar, I'm no expert.

You know, Fred, it kinda turned like Poplar, now that I think of it. But I've not seen Poplar with a grain structure quite like that.

[QUOTE-allen levinne]you add some pizazz, and I think they are striking, unique, just all around great looking stuff.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Allen! The site needs to be updated badly, but I just haven't had the time (or the stock) to do it. But I keep it for when I will, but I am building up stock for it. I've never been much of a B2B (bushing to bushing) guy. Especially on slims. I like some shape to my pen... but I don't care for overly fat bilges on pens either.

Yeah, that sure looks like poplar.

Poplar, when it ages, especially with sun, can go pretty brown on the surface - and the grain features DO look a bit cherry-like. I could easily be fooled by aged poplar until I cut into it...