possible new log end sealant?

larry merlau

has anyone heard of using anitfreeze for sealing the end of logs? also was told of a product that the person didnt know the name off that was as thin as water and clear that had been purchased for the same use.. todd mentioned to me at one time of a product that was like that but the amount you had to buy at one time to get it was prohibitive.. the stuff i see the big mills using on there lumber is more like paint and they dont put it on till after they have stacked the bunk to go into the kiln..

Haven't heard of that one, and can't think why it would be effective. Wouldn't it wick right in?
I've been using the Lee Valley "end sealer for logs" for a few years, and it's the best I've found. It sets up a waxy film on the end that really shuts down the end checking. I usually scrub the end of the log off with a wire brush and paint it on right out of the can, before sawing. Works great and a litre can goes a long way.

Just my opinion.
Peter:wave:

Another thought: anti-freeze and dogs sure don't mix and it's not something I'd want around our place for the NEW PUPPY THAT EATS EVERYTHING to get into.

Last edited:
has anyone heard of using anitfreeze for sealing the end of logs? also was told of a product that the person didnt know the name off that was as thin as water and clear that had been purchased for the same use...

Do you mean PEG (Prophyl-Ethylene-Glycol)? I heard of it several years back, and as I recall, it was/is a 'wood stabilizer that you soaked green wood in. Never used it myself, though.

i have used anchorseal before and it does as you mentioned peter,, but like i said this was just mentioned so maybe this guy is off base will have to try and get a hold of todd and see if he can remember what it was.. and as for using anti freeze i dont think i need to take chances on Charlie because he already eats more than he should?:)

Jim's right about PEG vs. Propylene Glycol, although it looks like some folks are trying PG instead of PEG. There's a lot of info around about using PEG:

Clicky link